Chapter-19

A couple weeks have gone by, things settling back into normal routine. I took Grant's advice of staying away from Caleb. When I seem him in the dinning hall for dinner he gives me sour looks, which I ignore.

Grant had remained his mysterious self. A few times we have chatted over a midnight snack in the kitchen but he still seems unwilling to talk about what he calls 'pack business'. Even though part of me knows its none of my concern, I am still curious as to why he would want to keep it hidden.

But this evening I wanted to invite Grant to my next ultrasound, since he told me he wanted to come to the doctors appointments when I had them. I hadn't been to the top floor of the pack house before but surprised it only consisted of a short hallway with two doors, one at the end and one on my right.

I walk up the final step and I am greeted with muffled yelling. I notice the door on my right is slightly ajar and as quietly as possible I walk over.

My inner curiosity makes me stop beside the door, leaning on the wall as I hear the voices.

"- We have bigger things to worry about right now Grant." I hear Caleb say, frustration evident in his voice.

"What then? I am supposed to give up." Grant bites back, not happy with his Beta's words.

"Its been nearly 6 months and you barely have anything to show for it accept some security photos and a few eye witnesses... it might not even be her-" Caleb informs him.

" It is her, I know it!" Grant shouts back, causing me to jump. I had never witnessed a raging Grant. His angry self is normally silent yet deadly. But what gets me interested is this 'her' they are referring to.

Silence follows his out burst before someone clears their throat." Grant were not saying to give up, but it's been 6 months we should have found her by now." I recognize Abby's voice, her trying to be the voice of reason." The Alpha of the Sypris Pack said they saw her a month ago, she could be anywhere by now... and as I hate to agree with Caleb, he has a point. We have other things to worry about."

" I know, but I need to find her." Grant finishes.

"Grant-" Caleb sighs.

"I need to find her." Grant grits out over Caleb. No more is said and I don't have time to move when someone opens the door. Caleb emerges, his frustrated face looks to me then laughs mockery.

"You have a peeping mouse out here." He says into the room. I glare at him as he brushes past me to walk down the stairs. After I am sure he is gone I take a breath before peering my head around the doorway.

In Grants office I am greeted with two pairs of eyes looking at me, one pair belonging to Abby and the other to Grant. I try and pull a none guilty smile but I am not fooling anyone as I see the glare Grant is giving me.

"Um... Hi... I just wanted to talk you; I see I court you in a bad time. I'll come back later." I try and get away.

"Brooke." Grant says, slight warning in his authorized voice and I sigh coming back to stand in the doorway." How long were you out there?"

I bite my lip." Long enough to know that you're looking for someone."

Grant sighs before looking at Abby, who is trying to slyly nod her head in my direction although it's obvious. He seems confused but then his eyes piece hers once he understand what ever Abby is trying to point out.

"Close the door Brooke." Grant says softly, in defeat and I step inside his office closing the door behind me. His office consists of his desk which is modern with a silver desk lamp and a sleek laptop. Because it is a large room, across from his desk stands another table which is sprawled with a marked map, papers and photos." What I am about to tell you can not be shared with anyone else in the pack besides Abby, Caleb and me... understood."

"Understood." I say, starting to feel nervous of what he is about to tell me. Who this 'her' is.

" I'm looking for my sister." Grant facts and it takes me a minute for the words to register.

"I thought you said-" I stumble out but Grant cuts me off.

"Dead, I said that because most of my family is dead and I want this to be kept private... If the wrong person got information about my sister, a Shadow being out there she would be in danger."

I nod my head in understanding; hunters will go to any lengths to make sure that Shadows are gone from the earth. Grant has every right for it to be secret.

"Is that why you went to the Sypris Pack?" I ask, putting two and two together.

Abby nods." She was seen on their territory the day before we left, we searched but found no trace."

I walk over closer to the table, my eyes lingering on the map.

"She seems to be going all over North America." I state, looking at the markings, the sightings all over the country.

"I know, but there has been more sightings of her in New York, more then any other state." Abby says pointing to the state where are currently standing in. I notice they have marked the area where our pack territory is. And it's interesting to see the other border markings not only for New York packs, but the whole of America.

It seems clear in my mind." You might be looking for her, but did it ever occur to you that she might be looking for you."

Grant furrows his eyebrows at me, looking at the map. I then draw my gaze to the photos on the side. I pick them up to see the photos shot to be either security footage or detective quality photos of a woman. I can tell in some that she has dark hair like Grant, but she is always wearing a baseball cap or sunglasses so I can never see her full face.

Although something is tugging on my thoughts, a familiarity about the young woman I am seeing in the picture. I flip through some more pictures before I get to the last one. It's a picture taken of her front, her lean body in jeans and a t-shirt. Her baseball cap can't hide her face this time, pale green eyes and waves of dark hair. But what makes me remember her is that fierce look in her eyes, calculating and clever.

It hits me harder then I thought as I breathe out a gasp." Raina."

The room seems to go still as I study her face again. It is her.

"What did you say?" Grant breathes out and I look up to meet his shocked gaze.

"Your sister is Raina?" I ask, shocked myself." Then that means your..." Things start piecing themselves together in my brain but they are interrupted by Grant.

"How do you know my sister?" Grant questions, and I look down at the photo again. A sad yet funny huff comes out of me. The irony in this world coming back to bite me.

" I was ordered to kill her a year ago."

.-.--.-.-.-.--..--.--.-.-.-.-.-.

cliffhanger...sorry...

yesterday made #370 in werewolf which I was super excited about, but now back to #691, still pretty cool though.

Please Vote and Comment,

I will update in 2 days, see you then!

Love U

(sorry if badly edited.)