Chapter Two

Chapter Two

     Spelling the room once, twice then trice for good measure, Cyn sat in vigil awaiting the moment Ian opens his eyes. Those beautiful mismatched eyes that arrested him the second they befell him over four thousand years ago.

The sound of Ian's voice was the most beautiful sound he'd ever heard. Still unable to comprehend that his soul mate laid peacefully on the very bed he cried night after night for the loss he suffered.

He felt the bond they shared break. Saw his love lying with a sword buried in his chest and a ball of fire ate his corpse. That moment haunted his dreams and every waking second. It was the battle for the Darkened Plane.

Battle the Darkened Plane 2000 years ago

"Cyn, my love. I know you want to keep me safe. Keep the people safe but this is the time where we must stand together. Our subjects are willing to fight for this haven you created. You must let us" Ian had pleaded.

The Wendigos were advancing. The front line was almost annihilated. Turning to the civilians Ian spoke, "this night we fight! We fight with every ounce of strength in us! Tonight you fight beside your kings as equals, as warriors! We will show these creatures, show them our might! They will be an example for all to see! We are the dark ones! We will not bow to them! They will hear our voices and they will fear our blades! They will not leave our lands in victory, but in death!" The people raised their voices, inspired by their King to destroy everything that threatened their land.

And fight they did. Eviscerating everything in their path. Cyn attacked from the sky in his dragon form, casting spells as quickly as his mouth would let him and Ian from the ground together with his countrymen, his subjects. Like a tsunami they overthrew the Wendigos. Many fell that day. And just when Cyn thought he could breathe a sigh of relief, he felt his heart wrench violently. The whisper of his name in his mind on a pain filled gasp. Then he plummeted. Searching for Ian.

When his eyes fell on his mate, a silver sword through Ian's chest as blood leaked down the corners of his mouth. Before Cyn could reach his husband a billow of flames claimed Ian's body. Only a black scorch on the spot where Ian fell. Cyn's baser instinct took over, blood lust and rage and loss, fear and hate and pain. So much pain.

The fog in his mind cleared. Not a sound other than the desperate shouts for his love. His husband. His king. The pain filled roars of the black dragon calling for one he would never find again. Never hold again. Never kiss again. Never lay eyes upon again.

That day a dragon cried blood.

Storms raged. Snow and tornadoes, rain and sun, and thunder and lightning pelted the Darkened Plane for days and days. It was as if Mother Nature too mourned the loss of her son.

The King Cyn was consumed in grief. Almost insane from the sacred bond violently broken. Not even a body to mourn over. Emptiness. Only emptiness the dragon king felt.

Then one day he was taken by memories. Of his king leading his people with love and kindness. Invoking in the subjects of the Darkened Plane loyalty that went beyond measure. And it was through Ian's love of his people and land that Cyn was able to mend his broken people. Build the Darkened Plane to what it is today.

***

"Ian" testing the name on his tongue, Cyn gently strokes his husband's cheek. Touching him as if he closed his eyes Ian would disappear.

Ian felt a touch he only imagined every day for the last two thousand years. Heard the whisper of a voice he dreamt of every night.

He prayed the Gods would be merciful and let him dream just a little while longer. His husband's scent in his nose. The safety and love only his mate's presence could provide.