Cactus

***

I was at the reception, chatting with Olivia and we were ready to make another bet.

"Ok. One soap if Josh falls."

"Ok. I'm in."

I agree, not taking my eyes off Josh which is trying to change a light bulb in the lobby, his position really unfortunate.

He is on the most unstable ladder ever and no one is holding the bottom for him as he refused help, no matter how much we've insisted. He's stubborn like that.

I take a mint from the bowl on the desk and wait,a little concern for his safety pulling at my heartstrings.

As I reach for a second one, Olivia slaps my hand and I glare at her, but smile mischievously.

"Those are for the guests you little thief!"

I pout but she just laughs and I rub my hand, as if she hurt me.

"Calmate, mi amore" I activate my Italian accent, trying to sound like our new guests, but failing miserably. She then laughs at my attempt but we hear a grunt, making us both stop and focus back on the man on the ladder.

Josh starts to stagger and we both hold our breaths and stare, my feet unconsciously making a couple of steps forward. He just stabilises himself and gets down, finishing his job.

I fist pump, take the soaps and stick my tongue out at Olivia, rubbing in her loss.

"You owe me a fancy dinner" I say triumphantly,but she just pouts and crosses her arms. She's such a sour loser sometimes.

The phone rings and she glances worriedly at me as she sees the caller ID.

I nod at her, encouraging her to pick up the receiver, then she lifts it, hesitating slightly.

"Good morning. How may I help you?" she asks cheerfully, but with a worried expression.

"Right away. Yes. Have a good day"

"Who was it?" I ask, already knowing it was someone from 9th or 10th floor.

Things didn't change much since their arrival, but whenever they're around everyone on the staff is on edge.

The guests are not really bothered, especially the female part of them as they seemed to be very fond of our new residents, if you know what I mean.

However,we had 5 people suddenly leaving last night after their show yesterday so I guess some are easier to spook than others.

"Room 1038. They were asking for you." She said uneasy, catching herself before saying too much, but I could tell she wanted to say something and didn't. You can read her like a book.

"What is it?" I get out as I leaned on the counter between us, cutting to the chase.

She glances at me and then focuses on her light pink nails, trying to avoid this conversation, but then looked back at me with eyes full of worry.

"Are you sure you're ok? They don't seem to be ordinary people and you have had the most contact with them up until now. Plus, you're not even supposed to be a concierge!" she said worried, rising her voice by the end.

"We're understaffed at the moment Liv. And I offered to help, so there's nothing to worry about. They might look like that but they're true gentlemen,believe me." I assured her, ruffling her hair in the front,laughing shortly.

She slapped my hands away and started taming her bangs.

"I gotta go! You better not forget about the fancy dinner you owe me'" I said behind me, already going towards the elevator.