Cooling Summer [Shiota Nagisa]

[Both Nagisa and Reader are older in this story] Requested by PandaKittenz

-

"Hng..."

The irritated sound escaped your mouth as you rolled around your bed before your face accidentally bumped into something, or rather, someone. You massaged your nose softly as you slowly pried open eyes and came face to face with the darkness. The only light source was the weak moonlight shining pathetically through your translucent curtains, landing on your blanket and bed. You sighed and sat up, pushing your messy hair away from your face. After you were done, you glanced to your right and no surprise, your partner was there. You were hit with a small pang of guilt, hoping that you didn't accidentally knock him awake.

Nagisa was sound asleep, his light-blue hair let down and sprawled all over his pillow. You could hear his faint and steady breathing as his lips were slightly open, resting peacefully. As you observed him, you felt a smile growing on your face. With utmost gentleness, you reached out and tugged his fringe behind his ears, preventing it from disturbing his sleep. Your fingers caressed his smooth cheeks before they slide down to his hair as it fidgeted with his blue strands, running through it delicately. Once in awhile, he would let out a few groan as his lips moved a little. You would giggle gently at the sight. Somehow, his hair resembled the ocean-like moonshine that was intruding through your window.

Staring at him, the memories of the both of you meeting gradually flooded your mind. Shockingly, you weren't part of 3-E, instead, you stayed in the D class for all three years of your junior high. Naturally, you shared the first two years with bluenette and grew to like him a lot. Unfortunately, you never had the courage to confess the truth, not to mention he was also with his red-haired friend, Akabane was it? The two of them seemed quite close and you couldn't bring yourself to disturb. Eventually, both Akabane and Nagisa changed class before you could say much. Luckily, you managed to muster up enough courage to say something during one of the assemblies. He was taken aback that you hadn't abandoned like his old friends did and came to accept your feelings.

It's been roughly 4 years since the two of you graduated from Kunugigaoka Junior High School. Looking at him now, he still seemed so innocent and small, but you knew that he had went through a lot, especially with his family and his class. You managed to learn about the whole 'assassination' mission they were given and even provided as much help as you could. Just thinking about it made your heart swelled in joy, knowing how strong and brave he is. Out of glee, you pushed yourself above his sleeping stature and planted a small peck on his forehead. Crawling back to your position, you stretched your arms and legs before getting out of bed, taking your phone with you.

As you made your way out of the room and into the dim hallway, you pressed the lock button on your phone. The piercing screen lighted up immediately, nearly blinding your eyes. You winced a little and glanced back again, reading the time as '2.30am'. Just as you registered the time, a drip of sweat rolled down the side of your face. You wiped it away with your sleeve, starting to understand that you've woken up from the intense heat. Weird how Nagisa seemed so unaffected by this extreme summer temperature. Feeling the heat rising again, you started to fan yourself with your shirt to no avail. Defeated, you decided to cool yourself with some water.

Heading to the kitchen, you chose not to switch on the lights and let the moonlight guide you to the tap instead. It was stupid of you but honestly you were too bothered to care. You reached for the cup and took it off its shelf, with the other free hand, you turned on the tap and let the water run into your glass cup. Once filled to your desire volume, you chugged it down instantly, eager to cure your thirstiness. To your dismay, it only prevented your tongue from getting dry and provided no other effects. You sadly limped in disappointment and bent over, resting your head on the metal kitchen counter. Twisting it to your right, you happened to catch the fridge that stood out in the darkness.

Ah, right! Cold drinks. How come you didn't think of that?

You mentally lectured yourself for a minute before walking to the refrigerator. With one swift pull from the metal handle, it felt like you just invited the entire Antarctica to your house. Cold and chilly breeze escaped the appliance and you were blown away by the brief second of icy wind, your face shifted to a contented expression.

"Hah...~"You beamed gleefully as you kneeled down to the level of the refrigerator, trying to take in more of the soothing breeze. Remembering your purpose, your irises glanced around the compartments to find your precious beverage. You did spot the only last drink, but you weren't sure whether you should be considered lucky or not.

The last standing 'survivor', a milk bottle.

Full and new, there was even a ribbon around it. However, you were confused. You've never seen this before, furthermore brought it. This certainly meant that it belongs to Nagisa.

Rubbing your chin, you weren't sure whether you wanted to drink this. Nagisa wouldn't mind, right? But what if this is a really nice drink that he was looking forward to? But....he would want to share it with you...maybe? No...wait.

Inner conflict swirled in your heart as you crouched there in front of the open fridge, fighting with yourself whether or not to actually take the drink. You stared at the drink in agony, you wanted to have it so badly. Unconsciously, you slowly reached for bottle, the thought, 'Just a little' kept cycling around your mind.

"(F/N)?" All of the sudden, a voice sounded behind you, making you jumped in shock and nearly toppling over the bottle. Your hand shrunk back like a spring as you hurriedly spun yourself around, coming face to face with a darkened silhouette that looked quite petite. For a second, you swore your heart almost stopped, you didn't understand why, but you thought you were going to be attacked and killed. You quickly cupped your mouth, preventing the scream that was about to escape. Your body shook in fright as your breathing got rapider. Squinting your eyes, you tried to focus on the figure in front of you until you finally made out who it was.

"N-n-nagisa..." You panted, trying to let your heart catch a break. "You scared me..."

"I'm sorry! Are you okay?" The figure moved in closer to you as the light casted itself onto its face, revealing that it was indeed Nagisa. His aqua-marine eyes were filled with concern and worried. You stared at him, assuring yourself that everything was fine.

"Y-yeah...I'm good." You took his hand before standing up. "Why are you awake?"

"It was really warm," He slouched and tugged on his shirt to prevent it from sticking to his body.

"You too?" You giggled.

"Yeah, I was going to switch on the air conditioner. But I couldn't find you."

You flushed at his words as you felt a smile forming on your lips, but you were interrupted when you realised something.

"Oh....I forgot I could switch on the air conditioner. I came out here to get a drink." You facepalmed, disappointed at yourself. He chuckled at your actions before making his way to the fridge. Just like you, he scanned around the refrigerator and could only spot the single bottle of milk.

"Ah. It's the limited edition drink I got from Nakamura-san." He fished out out the bottle as you leaned in closer to him.

"She gave this to you? Why?" You shot him a questioning look. His face instantly turned into a defeated expression.

"She....she said it would help me become more like a girl."

You blinked a few times as his words processed in your mind before you broke out into a fits of laughter. Nagisa glanced away and heaved a sigh, too tired to even respond. After your laughters finally ceased, you wiped the stray tear at the corner of your eyes. Nagisa huffed a bit before passing the bottle to you.

"Did you wanted this?" He flashed a sweet smile at you, "you can have it."

Accepting the bottle, you gave him an elated smile. You put the bottle on the counter and pried it open. Then, you gave the milk the same treatment you gave to your cup of water. The chilled drink slide down your throat and quenched your thirst for the cold. You instantly felt so much more refreshed and cooler. Nagisa observed you with a delighted expression, obviously jubilant that you were pleased by the beverage he offered. Of course you weren't so selfish and gave him the remaining half, he rejected at first but you continued to persist, leaving him with no other choice.

When the both of you were done, you tossed the bottle into the bin.

"Going back to sleep?" Nagisa commented as you walked to his side. Just as you were about to nod in acknowledgement, something caught your attention.

You took a glimpse at the ajared refrigerator, it was emitting a soft blue light in the twilight, mirroring those same lights casted by the reflection of the moon. You felt a thrill of excitement traveling through your veins as an image of the past flashed in your mind. Nagisa noticed your pause and looked at you, questions filling up his brain.

"What's wrong?" He inquired.

"Nagisa." The boy's name slipped out of your mouth as you maintained your gaze at the light. "Remember the last summer vacation we had when we were still in junior high?"

His body seemed to halt in place as those good memories of his amazing teacher and classmates came back to him instantaneously. The assassination plan with everyone, his classmates having fun and enjoying themselves. The last fight with the terrifying colleague of Karasuma sensei. That period of time was one of the best times he've ever spent with anyone. Nostalgia flowed in his heart and he responded with a 'yeah'. You smirked at his response before pulling the fridge door wide open, letting the glow emerged and spread. The phosphorescent light shined over you back as you turned around to look at Nagisa.

"This looks just like when you were fighting Takaoka sensei, doesn't it?"

His eyes widened slightly as the scene of him standing at the helicopter landing area, holding a knife against the horrifying creature that threatened and almost end the lives of his classmates popped into his mind. You were right, it felt like the fridge light looked exactly like those luminous shine that was radiating from the spotlight during that time. The only thing that was lacking was the fluttering strong wind.

"Yeah...It does." Those words barely left his mouth. You reached out your hand to him as he tilted his head, slightly confused at your actions but accepted it anyway. Pulling him closer, you wrapped your arms around his neck, holding his thin frame close to your own. You rested your forehead on his shoulder blade as you inhaled his scent. You swayed a bit to your left and right, signalling that you wanted to something. He seemed to understand your actions as he rested his hands on your waist, following your movement and rhythm. Closing his pair of eyes, he could feel himself getting lost in the moment.

"Heh, never in my life would I think slow dancing to the fridge light was a good idea." The corner of your lips rose as you heard his faint chuckling, both of your body still moving around.

"Sometimes you just have to do something different."

"Yeah....Nagisa?"

"Hm?"

"I'm glad that you are you." The heat started to rise in your cheeks, "I love the way you are, and I'm so happy you stayed that way."

"Thank you." It was a simple and normal two words, but you could sense the gratitude in it. Silence lingered in the air as you felt his hand tightening its grip a little. You lifted up your head a little as your voice left your lips.

"Just one more weekend together.
God, please give us a happy end.
"In the present, past, and future
I'll always be devoted to you."

Every step you took, he followed along with your lead as you sang, the velvety voice of yours sounding throughout your kitchen. You held his hand before you pulled away, he spared no second and gave you a spin, the twinkle in his eyes never ceased. The innocent smile he wore on his face was the same exact one that he had used to hide his lust.

"When we first met, the glance you gave,
I'll never forget it.

From the millions of stars in the sky, I can find you
Changing chances into fate, I love this way of life."

The two of you moved in sync, as if you've seen through each other's motives. Studying him, your love for him only increased even more.

"A wondrous miracle approaches us
We meet by chance again and again
The countless shining stars above us foretell love's whereabouts
Born on the same Earth, a miracle romance
I do believe in that, a miracle romance."

As you sang out the last tone, the two of you ceased your movement. You glanced at him and watched as the glow of the fridge light reflected in his eyes. He blinked a few times before grinning at you.

"I think we should close the door now." You giggled and let go of your arm before pushing the fridge door close.

"Hopefully that didn't affect the food." Nagisa scratched his head, the sheepish smile presented on his face. The both of you shared another glance before laughing.

"Let's go back to sleep." He shyly took your arm and pulled you closer, you leaned towards him and let your lip contacted his. You could still taste the milk from just now as you deepened it slightly which he returned with just as much affection. The red hue spread on both of your faces as you pulled away, smiling nervously at him.

Maybe using the fridge wasn't such a bad idea after all.