7. A Startling Discovery

Sirius took a piece of Ellie's hair between his fingers, and tucked it behind her ear, coming a foot or two closer to her as he did so. His hand settled on her cheek, and the other, near her neck. Ellie looked into his blank grey eyes. Blank... Ellie looked at him curiously. She was about to ask him what he was doing, scold him or step away, but he was coming ever closer, and Ellie couldn't think. And then, the last remaining space between their lips was gone, Ellie felt a shock, and all went black.

"Could've died! Lucky Severus was taking a morning stroll or she might've been dead, but he saved her."

"... Sirius..." Someone said Sirius' name, and Ellie's eyes shot open, and not knowing where she was, or who she was with, she blurted out, "It wasn't Sirius!"

"Must've been a good boyfriend... Still in denial." At this point, Ellie became so infuriated that she shot up, but immediately regretted it, as bile foamed in her mouth. She became aware that she was in the hospital wing, and James, Remus, Peter, Madame Pomfrey, and Professor McGonagall were standing over her bed.

"He was under the imperious curse." Ellie looked concerned, "His eyes were blank and lifeless, he didn't say anything to me, and he wouldn't let me go! Besides, he's a fifth year. He couldn't have pulled something that elaborate of if he tried."

"Well, he is with the headmaster at the moment, deciding whether or not he is to be expelled." Madame Pomfrey explained, while puffing Ellie's pillows.

"No!! He can't get thrown out! Something is going on at this school and I'm going to find out. Dark magic that's what it is!" And Ellie came to a sudden realization.

The war had come to Hogwarts.

Ellie stormed out of the hospital wing and marched to the headmaster's office, stopping midway and realizing Dumbledore must know what was going on. She decided to go up anyways however, and started to run again.

Ellie was out of breath by the time she reached the gargoyle outside the head's office and tried, and failed to ascend the spiral staircase.

"Password?" The gargoyle said slyly, as if he knew she didn't know.

"I dunno, blimey what does Dumbledore like? Err... Lemon Drops, Fizzing Whizbee, Ice Lolly!" At the mention of Ice Lolly, the gargoyle jumped resignedly out of the way, clearing Ellie's path. She thought about bursting into the office and not bothering to knock as she would ram her way through all of his silver whizzing items, but decided against it. She raised her left hand to knock, but before she could, she heard a voice say,

"Come in, Ms. Green." Ellie opened the door cautiously and entered Dumbledore's office. She walked carefully up to the headmaster's desk, noting the phoenix Dumbledore has resting on a golden perch, and the multitude of pictures lining the beige walls.

"Hello sir."

"Hello Ms. Green. I would like to hear your account of what happened. I am aware, of course, that Mr. Lupin was out at night." Dumbledore hesitated.

"I know that he's a werewolf, sir." Dumbledore seemed to relax.

"Okay." Dumbledore said, and continued, "I do not need to know why you and Mr. Black were down by the lake when you were. It is irrelevant, and you do not need to get into more trouble." He winked at Sirius, "Let us just assume that you happened to be down where you were because you were there." Ellie looked at her fingers. "Please describe what happened."

"I don't remember." Sirius said immediately. Ellie glanced at him, before looking determinedly into Dumbledore's eyes.

"Sirius and I were standing. Sirius then took a step closer to me. I looked into his eyes and said his name. His eyes were blank. He did not respond to me when I called his name. He stepped towards me and put his arms around me. He kissed me. Then I passed out. That is all I remember."

Five minutes later Sirius and Ellie were leaving Dumbledore's office. Sirius hugged Ellie. She was taken aback.

"I'm sorry." Sirius said, "That wasn't me."

"I know." Ellie said, "Bye Sirius."