10 | brusque

10 | BRUSQUE

When Amelia came back, she was a completely different person. Although, deep inside she was the same, snappy girl that everyone loved. But, currently her mind was cold, empty and emotionless. The team had been shipped off to the dense forests of France after they infiltrated HYDRA operations around Eurasia.

The crunching of snow was loud as they walked through the whiteness of winter. Steve lead the way, watching out for HYDRA soldiers.

"All clear?"

Amelia, due to her lack of emotion at the moment, didn't even bother to worry about her feelings towards Steve. She was done with that foolish (or what was considered foolish in her cold mind) distraction. She looked around the forest once more to make sure there were no HYDRA soldiers out in the trees or shrubbery.

Steve spotted one in a tree, flung his shield up at his target and the soldier fell to the mossy ground. "All clear." He announced.

The team decided to rest back in the jeep immediately following. They all formed a semi circle as the Captain laid out a map. A film crew had been with them, capturing breath taking scenes; but in all honesty, for Amelia, it was annoying and distracting during battle.

Colonel Phillips and Peggy wanted the "Howling Commandos'" missions to be documented, "We are making history, Amelia." Amelia remembered Phillips telling her.

"Alright, so the next HYDRA base is around here," he pointed to the map, "near the Maginot Line. If I'm correct, we should be half an hour from it." Steve flipped open his compass, revealing a small picture of Amelia. Amelia tensed her muscles and clenched her jaw at the sight, trying her best not to remove her numbness to feeling.

* * *

"It's still a stupid idea." Amelia muttered, loosening her sternness a bit. Dernier wanted to explode a HYDRA tank that was on its way back into the base.

"Lighten up, Dernier specializes in bombs, he's fine." Bucky smirked.

"Whatever, you're the one who's going to die, not me." Amelia wholeheartedly laughed.

Engines sounded, HYDRA was nearing. Jim whistled and waved his torch quickly. Then, Dugan gave Dernier the bomb and he ran off onto the road. Dernier rolled under the tank and placed it on the machine. Amelia hid in the bushes, a few dozen feet away from the tanks. Her breath hitched when the explosion when off. Dernier hooted, he had survived and managed to pull off that explosion.

        The team chanted his name over and over, excited for the success. Amelia had forgotten about her troubles at home with Christina and smiled for once, she whistled and hugged one of her teammates next to her.

* * *

        The Germans put up a helluva fight on the daily, leaving the Howling Commandos exhausted and fatigued. Steve stood at the foot of her tent as Amelia read the letters she received from Christina's mother.

        Christina wasn't doing any better, she was only getting worse. She had recently received a stroke from the bacteria, leaving her on bedrest until she heals (if she heals.) Mrs. Fuller said that Christina needed a therapist because all Christina spoke about was: being ready for death, Elvis Presley and the war.

        "Amelia?" Steve asked as he watched Amelia's eyes begin to water up.

        "Uhuh, yes?" She said, quickly wiping away her tears.

         "You okay? When you came back from your day off, you've never been the same." He commented.

        "It's nothing..." She quickly replied. Amelia didn't want to let others know that her best friend was dying slowly and painfully.

        Steve nodded. He knew that he had crossed her line before, and especially now that Amelia was holding in erupting earthquakes inside of her, her temper was wearing thin.

         They sat in peaceful silence for a couple of minutes. "Even if I don't know what's going on, I know it'll all get better in time."

        "It will never get better in time, I'll just learn to live with it." Amelia spat, anger replaced her sadness when she was defensive.

        "I'm sorry..." He trailed.

        "For what?" Amelia looked at Steve dead in the eye. She knew that she had many things to apologize for too, but she didn't want to be the first person to admit to their mistake.

"I love you, Amelia," Steve's words hit her heart like a train, "it was wrong of me to kiss that girl. I don't know what came to me, I knew it was wrong, because I love you and only you."

Amelia wanted to say a million things; how she was sorry for being a bitch, how she didn't want them to destroy (despite their undefined status) their relationship, and how she was tired of losing people.

A tear slipped from her eye. "No, don't say sorry, I've always known that you would be there for me." Was all she could sputter out between her immense breaths.

Steve couldn't resist, all he wanted was Amelia in his arms. He knew that she was broken, although he didn't know why, all Steve wanted to do was comfort her. He wrapped his arms around Amelia, holding her close so that she felt safe and warm.

"I love you too." Amelia quietly mumbled into the crook of his neck.