Part 28

Lucas

"So you're going to change around your entire flight plan just so that you can have a chance of meeting up with her for a few minutes?" Violet asks around a bite of ice cream. Her parents both had to work late so we ordered in pizza again and then polished off the rest of the ice cream they had in the house. I dug up another scoop of chocolate.

"I know it sounds crazy." I put the scoop in my mouth as she watched me curiously.

"No, it sounds romantic. I haven't ever seen you act this way about a girl. I thought you were going to try to stay unattached while you're in." She curled her legs up under her butt on the couch.

"I thought that was what I wanted." I shrugged, sliding my spoon through the extra large pile of whipped cream.

"So what changed?"

"I'm not bored." I looked right into her eyes. She knew my track record with girls. In the last two years I hadn't had much chance to build any type of relationship with anyone. I was busy taking care of my mom and then I was gone. I was just now getting to a place in my career where I'm going to be in one place for a while. It was boot camp and then combat training, then MOS school and recruiters assistant. Even still, getting to that place wasn't a guarantee I'd stay there long. My ass belonged to the Corps. "I finally get to do something for me."

She nodded her head over her bowl, spoon suspended just beyond her lips. "I think it's great. I hate when you go through girls faster than I can learn their names. I just hope you don't get your heart broken. You haven't had much time to grieve your grandma and that came right after you were finally getting past your mom's death. I just want you to be careful with your heart." She looked back to her ice cream.

"I'm not proposing Violet. I'm meeting a pretty girl at a public place for a few minutes before we fly to where ever it is our lives are taking us. I just want one more time of being with her to see if that fucking spark is still there." I shook my head a little, "I can't even describe what it felt like. It was like she walked off that airplane and all the oxygen in the room escaped. I was pulled forward in my seat."

"She's beautiful. I can see why she got your attention." She smirked at me and I furrowed my brow a little and pointed my empty spoon at her.

"Down girl! She's into a man in uniform. I don't think you have all the right parts." She laughed and had to cover her mouth with the back of her hand to stop from spitting out her ice cream.

"So you're really doing this?" she sighed a little, but her smile was genuine.

"I'm really doing it." I had bought my ticket right after Bailey send a quick email with the flight details. She was going to be in Texas from 7:45 to 8:13pm. And I was going to do everything in my power to be there too.

"I can't believe after all these years you can still surprise me. I thought we knew everything about each other." Her smile faltered a little.

"We do. This shouldn't surprise you. I go after what I want and right now what I want is the smoking hot girl from the airport with those black frame glasses."

"Promise me if you fall in love with her that you won't forget about me." Her voice was unsure and that was not like Violet at all. I know she and her girlfriend recently broke up and she was still a little heart broken, but I thought she was pulling out of it.

"I promise." I squeezed her knee and she smiled up at me. "Anyone who is in my life will be in your life too."

Violet took the last bite of ice cream from her bowl. She nodded her head, "Then you have my blessing. Go and get your girl!"