Chapter 19

Photo: London Fern
Portrayed By: Gus Kenworthy
Chapter Dedicated To: oezilaneel

******

Chapter 19

After our introducing, after Shawn gave me the blue bracelet, we went on our journey. The whole time, Brent is on the edge, seeming distracted at all. He doesn't say anything, not even giving me a plain glance. I'm invisible to him. I don't know if it has something to do with Shawn giving me the powerful spear, but I don't think it's the reason he's not talking to me. It looks like he's in a deep thought, like he's trying to remember something important. I don't bother him. Brent doesn't even notice I'm walking side by side with him, until I decide to change course and walk in between of Mia and Jelai who are busy talking about boys. Apparently to them, these men are all hot.

I feel a presence beside me suddenly, and when my eyes rake over the familiar body, I already know who it is; Shawn August Larsen, the one who gave me the spear to protect me, the one who doesn't want me to go away without him. He looks at me deep into my eyes and smiles, and I can feel, once again, the sparks going thoroughly all over me.

"So, water user, how'd you do that?" He asks me in a whisper, enough for me to hear but not to anyone else. From the corner of my eyes, I see Ivan frowning at us and I chuckle internally. I look back into Shawn's eyes again and about to ask him what he's talking about when I catch a glimpse of his mind; he's confused about why he heard my voice in his head. I chuckle, shrugging. "Come on, tell me." His smile is turning into a frown and as much as I'd like to bring back those smile, I want to tease him a bit more, so I just keep my mouth shut, totally ignoring his question.

"I actually don't know, August." I tease, staring straight ahead and laughing internally. He growls at me and I try my best not to flinch. Even though he's now talking to me, smiling at me, doesn't mean he can't control his anger issues. Short-tempered Aries. "You know, the first thing I noticed about you is you always frown. And you always get mad over things that you don't have control to. That's the reason I wasn't talking to you very much, because I was, kind of, afraid that you would just lash out or much worse, stab me with your big sword." As soon as I say the last words, I can feel myself blushing and I look away. God, that sounds so wrong in many different ways.

Shawn growls again. "Am I that bad? So bad that you didn't want to talk to me?" He asks me, his tone is not changing - still cold, but deep down, I know that it's just his nature.

"I don't know, you answer that." I say to him, kicking a rock rather hard and it flies into a farther place. "Did you notice? This is actually the first time we're having real conversation. When we first met, you weren't talking to me. And when we were at the cave, you talked to me for like, 2-5 seconds? I don't know. I'm confused by your actions. Sometimes, you act so cold I don't want to talk to you for like, forever. Sometimes, you're being cool and good and all and at the same time, mean, just like now."

His face softens at my confession, and I'm still sort of uneasy whenever he's around me, but the more he talks to me, the more I'm convincing myself that he's a good guy, that he would never hurt me.

"I don't know," he says, his brows furrowed as he shoves his hands in his pockets. "To be honest, I'm actually not... being hostile to you. I don't know why. And the fact that I gave you a sword proved that I want us to be... best friends. I want you close to me, Dylan." The way he says my name, it makes me look up at him with wide eyes. I think I heard wrong, but it's like... something in that tone of voice convinces me that he wants something, other than us being friends.

As I stare at him, I realize that my power is working right now. I'm having a goosebumps because of what I'm thinking right now; and as much as I want to convince myself that it's not true, it is. Shawn is... attracted to me. My cheeks heat up at the thought flashing with a huge sign in my head. Those images that I saw before when I took a look in his eyes; it represented me, and I still see those images when I look into his eyes. He wants me. Shawn August Larsen wants me.

My heart picks up a speed and it feels like my world is spinning because of the news I've received. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, I guess neither. But being so close with Shawn is suffocating me in a very good way. I want you close to me, Dylan, he said. He wants to keep me. I try to calm my nerves, but it's not working. I have to do something about this. When Brent said to me that I was attracted to a brown-eyed guy, it was freaking true. I'm attracted to Shawn August Larsen. As much as I want to stop myself from developing feelings for him, I can't. I don't have a control over my heart. It just works on its own accord. Now, I want to be helped by Brent because he's good at these things.

As if on queue, Shawn speaks, "Do you want me to be close to you?"

I stop dead in my tracks because of what he asked. It scares me to be close to him because of this developing feelings I have for him. But would that be dumb of me to avoid him just because of my stupid feelings? Yes, that would be. Shawn is trying to be friendly to me, and I'm going to accept it with open arms. I'm going to deal with my feelings later on. I'm sure there's a way to at least stop what I'm feeling for him. Maybe Brent can help me. Shawn waits for me to reply, and the whole time, I'm thinking that he's about to get mad or something and I wait for it, but it doesn't. He doesn't. Instead, he waits for me to reply patiently. I watch his eyes and feel lost again. Words stuck in my throat. His eyes have a hopeful glint in it.

Releasing the breath I just realize I've been holding, I breath out. "Yes,"

"Really?" He asks me, his voice getting up higher and looking at me with excited expression. I give him a nod and because of happiness, he hugs me and my cheeks burn, turning into a color of sweet strawberries. "From now on, we're best buds. I'm stuck with you and you're stuck with me. There's no turning back." And why do I feel like I'm already regretting the decision I just made few seconds ago? And why do I feel like the 'stuck' word has a different meaning to me?

Because it really has a different meaning.

"Stuck? Isn't that a bit clingy? Like, Ivan?" I whisper the last part and Shawn bursts out laughing, holding his belly as if it would stop him from laughing. The way he laughs, it's contagious, he makes me laugh, too. "Seriously, August. Shawn. Stop. You'll get us in trouble!"

Shawn shakes his head, as if doing that is the most normal thing to do. "Yep, I love troubles. But what you said is true. He's really clingy to me, and I hate that. No, scratch that, I really hate him. He's just not like you." He says and I clamp my mouth shut, pursing my lips. Ivan's just not like me, because I'm different. I have two different powers. He has two different powers. We have the same color of eyes, same height, same hair color, but we're a complete opposite. He's just not like me.

"You're really cute when you frown," Shawn says in a chuckle and coughs a little. A little fake, though. He begins to be uncomfortable and says in a low voice. "It makes you stand out."

"What? What do you mean by that?"

He sighs. "You're this. You're bubbly, outgoing, so very nice. And when you frown, you give me a chance to see your other side. Which is amazing. It makes you stand out. I swear if you ever get stuck in a crowded place, and you frown, I'd see you immediately." He says in a joking manner and I nod my head.

"Is that a bad thing?" I ask him.

He seems to be in a deep thought as he thinks of an answer to reply. But when I think that he's not going to reply again, I turn my head straight and start walking faster. And then I hear him speak, answering the question I just asked him, behind me.

"No, you're a good thing, Dylan."

******

Didn't you hear, people? Dylan is freaking good thing! Is he making a move? Shawn! Don't do this to me. You're killing me because you're so cute! I think I'm going to faint. Lol.

Twitter: JMSenar
Instagram: JMSenar
Facebook: http://facebook.com/johnmichaelsenarofficial