Chapter 1

Safe Haven
Nalu

~The sky was dark, filled with clouds. No children played outside, no joggers went by, and no one was out walking their dog. The cold, gloomy, fall day coincided with a child's feelings~

Lucy was staring solemnly out her bedroom window.

"Miss Lucy." A soft voice called from behind her. Lucy slowly turned and saw two of the mansion's maids standing in her doorway.

The older one had pale gray hair, white streaking it. She was a tall woman, a strong woman. Everyone called her Grammi and she was like family to Lucy. Not only did Lucy love Grammi, but so did her mother, Layla. Grammi had moved from England earlier in her life, and her path aligned with Lucy's mother. She took care of her.

The second was Coco, and she was young enough to be Grammi's daughter. Her hair was pulled into a side brand, the color matching her caramel eyes. Coco had started working at the mansion a couple months before Layla had passed on. She was quite fond of Lucy, mainly because Lucy was cute. She loved to watch her and often played with her out in the garden. Despite her admiration, Lucy didn't share the same feelings for her.

"Your father would like to see you." Coco motioned to the 8 year old.

Lucy slid down from the window nook. She made her way over to the maids, looking down towards her feet as she walked.

Coco accompanied Lucy to her father's office while Grammi cleaned up Lucy's room. Lucy was disappointed. She would've much preferred Grammi to accompany her instead of Coco.

"Although I wasn't here for long, your mother was a wonderful woman. Just having her in the room put everyone in a good mood. If you weren't so gloomy, maybe you could brighten up your father's mood, like your mother did." The maid pitied Lucy and Lucy didn't like it. She hated it, in fact. She hated how this woman spoke to Lucy as if she wasn't still a child.

"Here you are, princess." Coco bowed quite sadly as she opened the door to her father's office. Lucy quietly walked in, hearing the door shut softly behind her.

"I've decided to dig up the garden. I would much appreciate you remove your toys from out there. If you don't, I'll have someone throw them away." Her father said, a permanent frown upon his face. Lucy's eyes widened.

"Mama loved our garden! Why would you remove it?!" Lucy gasped. They had so many lovely memories in that garden. Her mother loved it dearly. Especially when the three of them played hide and seek. Lucy remembered all the love. She remembered all the joy. She remembered her Father's genuine smile.

"There are more important things to be placed. We need another storage unit for Love & Lucky, and you, child, are lucky that I am giving you the time to clean your things." He said.

"You're digging up Mama's garden for your business?" She looked at her father. He continued to look down at the paperwork on his desk.

"There's no point in having it. It's just plants. They're all dying anyway." He told his daughter.

"Mama wouldn't approve of this! She would be mad!" Lucy yelled, tears beginning to roll down her cheek.

"Well she's not here now is she?!" His voice raised and he looked at her for the first since they've started their conversation.