i ; out the window

[Nova pictured above w/ my favorite author, Jenny Han]

"WHY DO WE HAVE TO SNEAK OUT OF THE WINDOW?" A confused Riley says from the bay window seat, "if we're not doing anything wrong until we sneak onto the subway?"

"You think you're ready to just walk by your parents?" I say sarcastically, my eyebrows were scrunched up in a joking manner.

"I think I'm ready."

"Let me see your face as you walk by your parents," Maya says with a nod. Riley's mouth stretches into a fake smile and her eyebrows are in a suspicious place; I sigh.

"Why are you making that face at us, Riley?" Maya questions.

"Because I'm sneaking onto the subway."

Riley pauses and, "out the window!" escapes her mouth. Maya agrees, and as do I. But before we can really get out of the window, Corey is crawling out from behind the girls. He's almost too smart for Maya. I shrug and sit in Riley's bed.

"Now here's what I'm thinking. It's not your world yet. It's still my world. Because if it were your world, Maya and Nova would have you on the subway already, thinking you put something over in me. But you didn't. Know how I know? Look at ya. You're right here."

"How long do I have to live in my father's world?" Riley asks.

"Until you make it yours. Riley, do you know what I want more than anything? Go ahead, make it yours."

"I will. And when I do will you still be there for me?"

"Right here," Topanga interjects from the doorway, and she smiles at me, "we'll be right here."

And then we leave, arm in arm, we go as fast as possible.

WE WALK THROUGH THE METAL CAROUSEL, and drumming invades the comfortable silence we'd been sharing. It was pleasant, but surprising. A teenager with American flag jeans was playing with wooden sticks and some buckets. Maya flits to him and immediately starts to dance.

"Weasel!" She yells in friendly manner.

"Maya! Who are the new chicks?" He peers at us.

"Chick! Down here I'm a chick. No wonder my parents don't want me on the subway." I giggle at Riley, the epitome of  goofiness.

"You're slouching, Maya," Someone comments.

"Thanks, Gretchen." She places her hands on her hips, fixes her posture, and walks onto the subway. Riley repeats her actions, and I just laugh. I walk after them.

"Whoa, Riley. You don't do lip gloss,"  Maya says with a small shake of her head.

"Since when do you wear strawberry kiwi?" I ask her, and she gives me a glance of apology, knowing that she'd borrowed it from me.

"Oh, what I forgot to mention is that I'm completely reinventing myself. I ride the subway now, I have kiwi lips now, and I'm just as cool you guys now."

"I've never actually been cool, let's just get that out there," I say to my best friends. My adopted sister and the blonde who teases me whenever I pull out my favorite paperback.