Chapter 7

"Ugh, do I have to wear this?"

I crossed my arms. "Yes, unless you want to be torn apart."

I made Ben put on some sturdy Rathalos armor. He complained about it like a baby, but I convinced him.

"There is an assortment of weapons in that trunk over there. Pick any you like while I change my armor."

I left Ben and went into my own little room to change. Once I came back, Ben had picked out a long sword. When he noticed me, his eyes grew wide and his jaw dropped.

"Woah, you look gorgeous."

I smirked. "Thank you. I do look good in this Nargacuga armor."

"How does that even qualify as armor?! You're practically naked!"

I placed my hands on my hips and rolled my eyes. "I don't know, it just does. And I am not naked, thank you very much. Now let's go."

I grabbed my favorite dual blades and led Ben back to the guild hall and took the quest I had been waiting for. I can handle it no problem, but this is to test Ben's skills.

We left the guild and got a ride to our destination. It was already sunset when we arrived at our camp. Ben followed me as I walked out into the sandy dunes.

"Digitalia, can you explain to me exactly what we're doing?"

As I continued walking, I glanced back at him. "Our mission is to hunt down a Diablos out in these dunes. Right now, I'm surveying the area and getting any useful supplies we might be able to use."

He stayed quiet for a moment before speaking again. "What are those creatures over there?"

I looked back at him before following his finger to a group of small monsters in the sand. I grabbed his arm and crouched behind a dune with him beside me.

"Those are Cephalos. They're small wyverns that swim through the sand like fish. They're predators too, so it's best to keep our distance from them."

I got up and brought Ben with me into a small cave. I searched around and picked a few rare desert flowers from this secluded spot.

After leaving the cave, the moon was already high in the sky. The temperature had also dropped, causing us both to shiver. I dug through my item pouch and grabbed a couple of hot drinks.

I handed one to Ben as he looked at it skeptically. "And what is this?"

I drank my drink before replying. "It's a hot drink. It warms you from the inside out, allowing you to withstand temperatures like this."

He finally drank it and said, "Hey, you're right. I feel warmer already."

I giggled at him. "Told ya. C'mon, let's head back to camp for now."

Arriving back at camp, I got a warm fire going for us. We sat down and cooked a few steaks to eat. As we ate, Ben broke the silence.

"So, Digitalia, how long have you been out here by yourself?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Why do you ask?"

He shrugged. "Just curious."

I sighed. "Well, it's been almost two weeks now since I became who I am."

"What happened to you're family?"

I smiled. "I sent them into the world of Harvest Moon, where nothing bad can happen to them."

"Have you been all alone since then?"

He titled his head slightly and gazed at me with curiosity. "I'm never alone. Look at all the people and creatures I'm around in these game worlds."

"But they aren't real. Everything in here only exists inside your game. You're real, just like me, and you belong in the real world, with real people. So once we're done here, won't you come with me?"

He stretched out his hand to me. I could see the sympathy in his eyes as he smiled at me. I quickly slapped his hand away.

"Oh, so now you're pitying me? I don't need you, I don't need anyone in the real world! I have everything I need right here and I'm perfectly happy!"

I turned completely away from him and crossed my arms. I heard him groan. "That's not what I meant! I'm not pitying you, I just want to help you!"

It grew quiet, the only sounds being the crackling of the fire and the howling of the wind. I finally laid down, still facing away from Ben.

"We should get some rest. We're gonna need it."

"Digitalia, I-"

"Goodnight, Ben."

I completely cut him off. I really don't feel like talking to him right now. He thinks I need his help? Tch, I don't think so.

I closed my eyes and laid there quietly, attempting to fall asleep. I began to really think about what he said and found myself unable to drift off. I just laid there, pretending to be asleep so Ben wouldn't bother me.

Ben's pov

Why is this so difficult?! All I try to do is talk to her, and she won't even let me do that! And why am I so persistent about it?! I don't even know!

I quietly sighed. Maybe Slender is right, I can't help but feel this way toward this girl. My gaze went over to her sleeping form. She was beautiful, especially in that armor.

My eyes traveled down her body before stopping at her butt. I had the overwhelming desire to just go over and lay beside her. It took all my strength to resist.

After a short while of staring at the fire and taking quick glances at Digitalia, I couldn't take it anymore. I slowly and quietly scooted over toward her.

Now sitting beside her, I leaned over to look at her face. Her eyes were still closed. I slowly laid beside her before wrapping my arm around her. I buried my face in the back of her neck, breathing in her scent as I felt myself drifting off.

Digitalia's pov

What is he doing? I felt Ben laying behind me. His arm wrapped around my stomach and I felt his breath on the back of my neck.

I opened my eyes slightly, looking down at his arm around me. I wanted to get up and push him away, but it felt so...nice...and warm.

A smile tugged at my lips as I closed my eyes again. I guess I can let him lay here with me, just for tonight. I actually felt myself slipping into a peaceful slumber for the first time all night.