8

The rage was almost refreshing; it was certainly something he was used to, having a target to focus on rather than the aimless emptiness he usually felt left to himself or the first flush of shame and pain at being one-upped again. I ain't havin' a stupid upstart kid gettin' in my way! He snapped his fingers as he strode through the rising, falling rocky paths of hell and almost instantly the head of his little squad of sub-command demons appeared.

"Well?" he didn't even look down at her.

"Followed her everywhere, sir," the demon said. "She doesn't seem to do a lot. I couldn't get into the research facility but when she's not there she's just sitting about moping or muttering to herself or going in and out of the ward."

"I got that bit," he said, dryly. "Mutterin'? About what?"

The demon shrugged. "I couldn't make any sense of it, sir, just babbling things and staring at her hands."

He smiled, a little. Whatever the Boss had done to her didn't seem to have done her sanity any favours. He didn't want to focus on the tremble of fear in what passed for his heart when he thought about what Boss had implied – that he would be, should be, next. Everything that happened down here harked back in some twisted, hideous way to what he'd felt in life – the fear of but I don't want to die like all the others, the fear that haunted him for years even as he ran at enemies. And, of course, the knowledge that he was never, ever number one, to anyone, never the hero. The angel's scathing words about this being hell floating through his consciousness. How ironic, that since she'd shown up, he couldn't help but see how it was seen through her eyes, now. He didn't want to care that all he was now was driven by hate and dark ambition – no, he didn't want to feel that was wrong. I was gettin' on here. Nothin' mattered. My life...didn't matter. Now I got what I wanted. So I ain't havin' this, not here, not now. I matter. I got power, here, an' I'll show him he don't need some silver whelp...The red-stone walls of the caves of hell were seguing into the more familiar corporate painted walls with the faux-inspiring meme posters plastered everywhere, next to health and safety notices. Hellfire and Spreadsheets Don't Mix! He paused to stare exasperatedly at one. And he thought he had a twisted sense of humour.

"OK. Piss off," he told the imp as he reached Boss' office. The demon looked curiously at him.

"...what's up around here? Sir?"

He frowned at her. "What'cha mean?"

The demon shook her head. "We've been hearing things, in the pits, sir, some of the other squads have gone missing, this silver thing...stuff's...changed." Her face twisted into the confused moue of one who can't quite phrase what they're thinking. "In the air."

"Yeah? We're takin' over," he said, deciding to stick to the apparent party line. "Smell of success, that is. Believe me, they're helpin' out for...greater things." He managed a small laugh. "Somethin' all you little things should be tryin' to do..." He let the smile turn threatening, and the demon dropped her gaze to the manky old carpeted floor, scuffed with endless foot and hoof tracks.

"Ok, sir," she said, and managed a salute this time. He aimed a half-hearted swat at her, which she was just sharp enough to dodge, and she scurried off.

Somethin' in the air. Yeah, I kinda get what she means, though...he thought again of the angel's huge oval eyes, filled with righteous repulsion at the very idea of hell. At the time he'd hated her prissy purity, her incomprehension of what it was like to understand hell could give you everything you wanted...but there was an undercurrent of something in the air, something threatening. Something to do with whatever came next, something he had planned to simply avoid, not least as who knew what it was? Still...that angel. I seen eyes like those before. Not just...his, Daniel's – nah. Way back when, I wanted...He squashed the memory of young human dreams and, rather more thoughtful, he knocked on the door.

"Just in time." He was never sure how Boss managed to project his voice through the door to be as clear as if he was standing right there, but nonetheless, that's how it was. He entered with a bow.

Silver was there. He ground his teeth, remembering why he was here in the first place.

"Don't be like that," said Boss, smiling faintly. "She has been so very helpful in certain regards. You both have your uses." He stared right through him as if he knew exactly what he was thinking. "You have become much more suited to your position of late. Enjoyment has its place, but work comes first."

Unsure how to respond to that, he just bowed again. Perhaps before he would have been pleased with the comment, but now wariness was edging the thought. I didn't ever trust ya, but before...I didn't care. Ya gave me what I wanted an' I served ya for that. But...Nothing changed, that was the thing. He remembered Boss' demonstration of the balance of the metaphysical universe, the tip of the clicking balls. Boss was thinking beyond his own position, beyond his own power, reaching for who-knew-what ambition. His own ambition was shaped by years of taking orders and working through hierarchy. Boss was...unpredictable. And he was just starting to realise how unnerving that was. He don't want underlings, he don't want worship...what does he want? He tried to keep his features neutral, just in case it was showing on his face.

Boss was holding out a small bag to him. He took it, looked inside. A phial and some kind of injection device.

"Nice and sterile," said Boss. "So with that in mind, do not open it until you have to. Blood, this time. While what constitutes her blood – or yours – is no longer human, it is a link to the energy of the soul it contains. So it will hold its properties longer, making tests easier. And then, in case you think these little errands are beneath you, I have another job for you. More appropriate to your rank. Bring me angel blood, and I shall let you know what comes next."

Good! The announcement was enough to be able to push away the faint doubts, and he smiled,

"I won't let ya down, sir."

"I know," said Boss, momentarily pausing to pat Silver's arm again, like a pet. Her mask of a face remained blank. Wonder why she don't get the angel errands? Before he could analyse that thought, Boss continued: "Before you do, there's a nice shooting incident taking place I'd like you to get onto first, to ensure the correct souls make it down here. There is some doubt in the work of the tempers, you see. I want no interference from ...Above." He spoke the word like roadkill. "These are busy times."

"Right away, sir," he said, smirking with real pleasure this time. Work had a way of clearing the mind from nasty human distractions. Boss was right there.