28. I bet you did it

As we walked through school we noticed people staring at us, we felt uncomfortable but kept walking like we owned the world. Like Ali had taught us to do so well. 'People are staring' Aria mumbled. 'just ignore them, have you talked to Ezra about it lately, do you know what the teachers say?' Spencer asked Aria. She nodded, she opened her mouth to start talking but Ali interrupted her. 'right now it does come in handy that you're dating our teacher, you know, an adult.' Ali said casually, brushing it off her shoulder. Aria rolled her eyes, 'he doesn't want to listen to what the rest says, because he knows it will affect me, us.' She said, I could tell she was lying, and Ali probably did too. We walked into the english classroom where Mona, surprisingly, was already inside. Talking to mr. Fitz, awfully close. Aria flinched. 'He loves you' I said and I poked her in her flank. She smiled at me. 'trust me, I know' she stated. Ezra practically jumped up as he saw us barging into his classroom. If he even dared to hurt Aria.. no don't think about it, he loves her, and he is in fact the only thing keeping her alive, on track. 'good morning' he mumbled, not knowing if the good in goodmorning was in its place now. 'Good morning mr. Fitz we mumbled in sync. We took our usual places, it felt weird not having Hanna next to me. 'Emily..' Mona called me, I was the only one who she trusted a bit, Aria was her worst enemy, Alison intimidated her and Spencer was just plain scary to everybody. I always had an air around me that screamed sweet to everyone, I have no idea why, I think it's just heritage, my mom has it too. 'How is she? Hanna?' she asked, I gazed at the ground. 'We aren't allowed to talk to her' Aria responded, timidly. She was still sorry for the photo leak, she just had no other choice. Our jaws dropped when Caleb walked in. 'You've got some nerve showing up here!' spencer yelled. 'I didn't kill anyone' he stated promptly. He walked towards us, to Hanna's seat. 'is this seat taken?' he asked with a grin. We all wanted to punch him, mr. Fitz was watching in anticipation, Aria probably told him. 'Yes.' Mona stated and she dropped her bag on it. 'and Hanna didn't kill him, she would never do that.' Mona said snarky to him. Caleb took a few steps back. 'and you know what? I bet you did it!' she added. Caleb raised his eyebrows and tried to get eye contact with the rest of us, we kept gazing at the ground. 'ask your new friends that' he said explicitly, glancing at us. We imagined how guilty we looked. Mona looked at us, she was weirded out. 'it's okay' I told her. she lifted her shoulders and sat down. Spencer turned to me, 'How's the investigation going? Do they have any evidence except caleb's recording of her confession?' she asked me. 'No, they're still examining the body,' I responded. Spencer nodded, I could see the fear in her eyes, it probably reflected in mine too. 'I bet you Aria is the next one to go down' Alison remarked, we looked at her pointedly. She had changed so much, I was the only one to see that her bitchiness was just a mask for her fear. Aria flinched and gave Ali a meaningful glance. Spencer and I stayed out of it. We all knew, that somewhere Ali had a point. Aria's fingerprints were all over the knife. It was just a matter of time before she would be behind bars. This was basically the beginning of the end. The bell rang and the rest of the students started dripping in, mr. Fitz started his class as always, by reading one of our stories. He had chosen Hanna's for today, he believed she was innocent too. And sometimes I would find myself thinking the same thing. That she was innocent, as pure as snow, but we knew she wasn't innocent, and neither were we. 'Aria Montgomery, Emily Fields and Spencer Hastings; please report to the principal's office.' Sounded through the speakers. We flinched, we gazed at each other, and then towards Ali, who frowned. Why was she in the clear? Our heartbeats sped up, we were caught.. busted. There was no escaping the consequences of our sins. we slowly got up, people were staring at us. We walked towards the door with our heads hanging low. We closed the door. we grabbed each other's hands as we slowly moved towards the office. 'whatever happens..' Aria said, almost crying. 'nothing will happen, trust me.' Spencer said, like she was trying to convince herself of one last lie before we were shipped off to prison.