Change Is Good

I tied my last shoe lace before standing up and looking in my mirror. "Do you think I look weird?" I ask my aunt, turning to the side. "Of course not, you look amazing!" She walks over next to me and adjusts my shirt in the back. "I know. It's just what I've heard from my friends at Facebook, everyone at McKinley is skinny and pretty, like those Internet girls you can look up on Google." I turn to her. "Well you're beautiful just the way you are. Besides, I know you think it all the time, but you're not even fat. You may have just a bit more skin on you, no big deal." She shrugs putting her hands on my shoulders. I turn back around again and look at myself in the mirror. "Aunt Julie, can I just have a moment to myself. I want to mentally prepare myself for today." I ask looking at her through the mirror. "Not a problem. I'll go downstairs and gather your book bag." She smiles. She then goes out of my room and shuts the door.

I look myself one more time in the mirror. First at my hair. It is a very thin brown color, but if I sit it on my chest at the right angle, it looks thick. It flows all the way down to my belly button and tapers out at the ends. My eyes are the same, even though I'm blessed to have long eyelashes from my donor father. My skin is light, but I have a tan from the local swimming pool Aunt Julie took me to almost every day over the summer. I skimmed my eyes over my outfit. A turqious tight shirt, a black waist high skirt, and white converse. I finally looked at my body shape. I'm not fat, nor am I skinny. I have a little more skin, like my Aunt always tells me. It doesn't bother me, but it does when it comes to boys.

I sprayed my perfume across my body one more time before grabbing my phone, turning the lights out, and heading downstairs. I grabbed my backpack from my Aunt before walking out the door.

The drive wasn't that long, just enough time for me to make sure my makeup wasn't smeared and I had myself ready. "Mr. Figgins told me that someone will be there to help you around and answer any question that may pop into your mind." Aunt Julie explained turning into the school parking lot. I slowly sank down in my seat as we passed, maybe, a thousand people? "Oh Cami, it's gonna be okay. Maybe there is a club for you to busy yourself with, like choir. I hear you in the shower all the time." She pulled into a parking spot and looked to me. "It's too late Julie, it's already September. All the clubs are closed. And I'm not a good singer. If I was to sing in a club, they'd probably throw me in the back. Whatever happens between my microphone loofah and my voice, stays in the shower."

I hugged her tightly before she kissed my forehead. "I love you, have a good day at school." I got out of the car and shut the door. "Remember to text me when you're ready to be picked up!" She yelled after me. I signaled a thumbs up before heading up the steps. I held onto the handle of the huge glass door for a moment. I took a deep breathe and opened it.

I turned into a office that had glass walls separating it. I then saw a man signal me into his office. It must be Mr. Figgins. I smiled and walked in as he stood up and held out his hand. "Ah, you must be Camila." He grinned at me. "It's so nice to meet you sir." I smiled shaking his hand. "Welcome to McKinley. You'll fit in perfectly! Well, maybe after a few slushies in the face b-" "I'm sorry but what?" "Oh nothing." He flicked his hand. "Your tour buddy should be coming soon. She has everything you'll need for today." He explained. "Thank you! I'm looking forward to school life here. Change is good." I smile and nod.

A knock comes from the door. Mr. Figgins lays his hand out to where it points towards it. I turn around and look.

A girl stands there. She is medium height. She stands with one knee bent in and her arms behind her back. She has a grunge like outfit on, with a big black round hat on her head and glasses to even out her face shape. I smile and stand up. "Hey, you must be the new girl! I'm Angie." She shakes my hand. "Camila." I shake back. "Oh, you're named after Camila Cabello or something like that?" She tilts her head and laughs. "Nope, that's just what my mom liked." I laughed at her. "Why don't you two go head off and explore McKinley." Mr. Figgins suggested. We said goodbye to him and walked into the hallway.