Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter Twenty One: And That Hurt More Than Words

This chapter goes out to a good friend of mine who did two book covers for me!!!! Thank you so much! <3

________________________________________________________________

September 19                                                                                                           

The bathroom door slammed behind me. The sink blasted on and I began to furiously scrub the cake off my face it was time to go home. My bra was sopping wet along with my underwear. I cannot believe Lee Williams did that to me. Then again, it wasn’t much of a surprise. Finally, the sticky icing was washed away. I looked up to see if there was any more I missed and froze.

I didn’t recognize myself. The icing was gone, but I still looked different. Like one of those followers. Make up ran down my face; I looked like a raccoon. Who was this? The Emma I knew never and I mean never wore makeup with the exception of competition.

Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? Yes. Have you ever looked at yourself after something huge happened? You don’t’ recognize yourself at all. You’re the same person, but something is different. It’s almost like you’re a stranger. And no, I’m not talking about pimples or wrinkles. You look at yourself through the eyes of others. You see yourself as others see you. If someone calls you fat, no matter how much you exercise, you’ll always see yourself as fat. Words can build you up, or break you down.

But it’s not words that shock me. It’s how I look. I tried so hard to fit in, I was changing who I was. It scared me. I was able to scrub the runny make up off, but it made no difference. I would always see myself as a poser. Fake. Clone. Follower.

And that hurt more than words…