Chapter 29: What A Pleasant Surprise

I put on a soft grey sweater, that’s longer than my arms. I folded it a few times, and then put some faded jeans on. I groggily found my toothbrush, and scrubbed my teeth clean. Next I washed my face, wiping the crusty crap out of the corner of my eyes. Next I put some curling spray in my hair, and eye liner under my eyes. I usually don’t use mascara because I always poke myself in the eye with the brush.

It’s really not that hard to do…

I stared into the mirror, seeing a older version of myself. My eyes are still it’s golden color, but my skin is lighter. Thankfully not pale. Shades of purple line under my eyes, from lack of sleep. My hair is a darker brown, since I haven’t seen the sun in a while. But I have been on the balcony many times.

I straightened my shirt, and took a deep breath, “Well, time to go to hell!” I said cheerfully to my reflection.

I really just hate Etiquette classes. Especially since I only slept a few hours last night. But, my life basically sucks, so I guess I will just--

“Natalie?” Emilia’s voice asked from my bedroom, “I need to talk to you.”

That’s always a good way to start a conversation.

I walked into the room to see her sitting on my bed, “What are—“ she looked up and I could see she was crying.

My heart skipped a beat, “He’s not..?”

“No. But he isn’t getting any better,” she replied quietly, dapping her eyes with a tissue.

“What do you mean he isn’t getting better?” I questioned, a little louder than I expected it to be.

“He won’t—“she covered her eyes, and shook a little bit as if she began crying. I walked over to her, and sat next to her on the bed.

“Won’t what?”

She sniffed loudly, “He won’t eat. He’s refusing to eat, he’s telling us he wants to die, and his life has no meaning. It isn't a joke, he's always...nevermind.”

I rubbed my legs nervously with my hands, “Can’t you just force him to eat?”

“No, I tried that already. He’s starved himself for two weeks before. But I’m really…I’m worried Natalie.”

I started laughing, and threw my hands up, “So you’re just going to let him starve himself? Slap him in the face a few times and call him bulimic! You can’t just give up! Force him to eat!”

“You don’t understand. He’s different now. If we do that he will lose control…it’s almost as if he’s a different person,” she wiped her eyes, and sat cross legged on the bed.

“Do you want me too—“

She grabbed my arm, with complete seriousness on her face, “No. Don’t go in that room.”

I stood up, “Maybe he will—“

Emilia stood up, slightly towering over me, “Natalie, that’s not even an option. He already snapped a two people’s neck, and killed them. He’s smashed two lamps already because they were too bright, and has threatened to slaughter the healers if they touched him.”

I shrugged, and started to walk towards the door, “I see nothing has changed. He's always been like that. Well, I've never seen him actually kill someone though. Although he does threaten to a lot...but yeah.”

A hand grabbed my arm, “You can’t just—“

“—let me feed him! It’s not a big—“

She gasped, “—don’t say that he will hear you!”