Chapter 7 - The Unpredictable Scents

KARLSTEN POV

I head back to the penthouse and snatched few blood bags to the storage room. I was restless so I had a shower and thought of Hezerka. Since its almost evening it's the best time to visit it maybe I'll find something odd. After making sure I dabbed the oil around my neck and wrists I teleported.

When I reached the Barren it isn't pleasing as it is before the surroundings are filled with erring silence with faint smell of burned ashes and dried bloods everywhere both from hunters. The image of Ette died makes my stomach churns but I shook the idea away since I know she is alive.

'Kitten where are you now? Please give me at least a sign that you are safe.' I keep chanting to myself.

I don't know how long I stayed on my position waiting for her to contact me but it never happen. I only got alerted when I sensed something thinking it could be Hunters but it's giving an odd feeling so I tried to follow the scent. It was long gone even before I came out of the Barren and find a squirrel in nearly tree branch. My guts told me it wasn't just an animal someone or somebody has been lurking here aside from me. Even I'm an Elder I'm not best in tracking scents because we have different abilities by rank. With that idea I orbed to the person I know who can help me.

"Elder Karlsten?" He was completely surprise seeing me standing.

"Sorry to come on short notice Apprentice Regan and smelling like human." I entered his house.

"Honestly I didn't sense it I was ready to attack thinking you're a Hunter or something else." He opened the door widely this time.

"I'll tell you everything inside." My tone stays calm.

"Take a seat I also want to know what happened on the rescue part. Did you succeed on getting Ette's memory?" He creased eyebrows.

I started to narrate everything but leaving the part about my two missions.

"I am sorry for her death Elder." He sympathized with me.

"Everything is sudden even at Levatnia the people felt the impact especially Andreas and Eloise but it's not the reason why I came here." I approached him.

"What is it?" He touched his chin.

"I would like you to come with me at Hezerka there's something I need your expertise with?" I said bluntly.

"But the forest is protected and I'm not sure how we can break the barrier." He made me remember.

"I got it all covered." I assured him.

"How soon you want us to go there?" He gave a curt nod.

"Would it be fine if we go now?" I proposed.

"Then let's get going." He finally stood up and so did I.

Soon as we reached the forest I whipped my hand and the barriers are gone easily. I know Apprentice was fascinated but didn't question me it will be for a later discussion. I was getting used to Ette's ability and learning to control them. Thanking Andreas and Ette in silence for teaching me some tactics that I practiced after office hours.

"We better move five meters from here that's where I exactly smelled it the scent is mix so I can't really tell what it is. Your abilities are trained for this kind of stuff scouts the area and see if you can detect it." I added and we sniffed the air.

"Okay got it Elder." He scanned the forest.

"I'll go to north and south while you take east and west. Meet me after an hour." I timed our search.

Within the time I can't shake the feeling that someone is watching me but I can't see it even with my sharp eyes. I heightened all my senses in order to figure it out but got nothing. I ran within the premises in hopes to identify what it is and still got empty handed. I'm getting frustrated and my time is limited having a single mistake is nowhere in place for that.

"Elder I picked up two scents. The first is a strong aura; I'm positive it's a vampire." Apprentice asserted.

"Great. How about the second one?" I patted his shoulder.

"It's... I... uhmm... knew that particular scent." He whispered.

I saw the hesitation in his eyes but I guess he is making certainty about what he is about to say.

"Why did you suddenly stiffened? Don't lie to me Apprentice I can tell it I don't have enough time going around the bush just tell me!" I spoke with authority and irritation.

"That was... my... uhmm... Cho--sen." He stuttered with submissive bow.

"Are you sure?" I was taken aback.

"I can never forget her scent Elder." He nodded.

"Thank you for telling me Apprentice. Although I'm being suspicious why would she be here?" My tone came out astound.

"This was the place where we met." His voiced sounded low.

"When did it happen Apprentice? Answer me!" I spat while shaking.

"The day we drove here to rescue Ette I saw her with the Hunters and she gave me nothing but loathed." He retaliates nervously.

"Why didn't you keep us posted when we got to your place?" I curiously stated.

"She confronted me saying leave her alone and we can never be together so there's no reason for that since we never had any contact." He confessed with sadness.

I realized he was right; the treaty no longer existed after the death of Mallory. Since then we cut every connections we have with the Hunters and consider them our enemy.

"Do you know where she lives or the name of their tribe?" I became interested somehow.

"I don't know Elder all I can tell is her scent and her appearance. I apologize for my incompetence. " He shook his head.

"Apprentice you don't need to apologize your information helped me." I assured him.

"Thank you Elder." He bowed.

"One more thing Apprentice in my opinion as a guy with a Chosen the fact she still is alive considered yourself lucky because there is still hope you can be with her." I advised him rationally.

"I guess so." He seems to take my words.

"Let's get going I had enough for tonight." I tapped his shoulder and we disappeared.

================================================================================================

Please don't forget to follow, leave a comment or votes in every Chapter ;)

Thank you so much!

••••• MJ Cristine