She Sells Seashells-Chapter 5-Ending

Marney smiled as she skipped along the beach, playfully pushing Cole towards the ocean. He grabbed her hand at the last second, pulling her into the freezing water with him.

"Ahh, Cole!" Marney spluttered as she came up to two laughing guys. "So not cool!"

Cole shrugged and just put his arm casually around her. Marney froze. His arm felt... nice. There was no electric spark, thankfully. Marney would've thought she was insane if there was. But his touch felt natural, right, and, after the unintended swim, warm. Her special moment was broken as a wave's frothy water washed over her, soaking Marney and Cole even more.

Cole stood, and helped her up.

"Soooo...." Marney said, dragging out the word. "Wanna go get some ice cream?" she asked hopefully. Phillip laughed a little. "Ha, you're so skinny but everyday you're eating ice cream! How is that?" he joked, hugging Marney and swinging her around, laughing again as he heard Marney's squeals and threats. Marney righted herself, slightly dizzy, and saw that Cole stood, looking slightly downcast.

"Naww, Cole, you're too cute! If you want you can spin me around or tickle me!" Marney cooed, standing on her tip-toes to ruffle Cole's already messy hair.

Cole slapped her hand away then obliged by picking her up, cuddling Marney to his defined chest, and tickling her until she cried out in surrender.

"Okay, I really want my ice cream now!" Marney exclaimed loudly as Cole and Phillip chuckled.

"I think we can do that, can't we, my dear Cole?" Phillip said mockingly, leading Marney to an ice cream shack. They had shacks for everything to sell trinkets to the tourists on the beach here.

"Okay, I'll have one scoop of cotton candy ice cream, and one scoop of cookies and cream, with hot fudge, caramel, nuts, and sprinkles, please," Phillip ordered. Seeing the confused and disgusted looks from everyone, he threw his hands toward the sky.

"What?! It's a normal flavor!" he defended his choice. Marney shook her head, and ordered a mint chocolate chip cone with sprinkles, and Cole ordered an orange sherbet with caramel. Marney wrinkled her nose at Cole's choice. "That's gross, Cole! How can you eat orange sherbet with caramel?!" Marney cried in mock horror, looking at the now-ruined ice cream. "I think it's good," Cole said, pretending to be offended. Then Marney got it. She stuck her nose in the air.

"I think you guys get those disgusting flavors because you don't want to share with me!" Marney cried out in pretend offense. "Well, I won't share either!"

Suddenly Cole lunged at her, gently pushing her down in the sand. "Still not sharing?" he murmured as he took a small lick of the cone that was in Marney's hand. She was suddenly aware that he was practically lying on top of her, her back on the warm sand. He was right over her, next to her face. And he leaned down, just a bit, and kissed her sweetly and tenderly. The sad thing was that it was her first kiss and all she could taste was mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Marney lay shocked as he broke apart. "I've been wanting to do that for a while," he admitted to Marney. She smiled up at him, oh my, those eyes... "Me too," she said. Then Cole stood up, and helped Marney up for the second time that day. The ice cream, miraculously not sandy or ruined, was picked up as Phillip, Marney, and Cole continued their walk on the beach. Phillip still hadn't said anything, and Marney began to get slightly worried.

"Hey, Philly? Are you.... mad?" she asked hesitantly.

His eyes softened as he looked at her. "Of course I'm not mad, I'm happy; my favorite little cousin just got her first kiss."

Cole interrupted. "We could make that two kisses," he said teasingly, as Marney laughed and smacked him on the shoulder. "In your dreams," she said, smiling to show she was kidding. He smiled down at her, and she smiled up at him.

Marley couldn't help but grin as they threw their trash away. It was her turn to have a happily-ever-after, and she would make the most of it.

{A/N: Thanks so much for reading this short story! I can't believe I finished it in a day and I like it! It's a little cliche and short, but heartwarming and happy, I think. Do you like Cole and Phillip? Who is your favorite character? Please check out my other book, Journey for the Gem. PLEASE comment, vote, like and fan if you liked it! And please private message me or rather, I'd prefer it if you commented your thoughts and/or constructive critism. Thanks! Love, ridingrl :). }