I Don't

Request: "Hello :) Could you please write a piece where the reader accidentally finds a ring in her boyfriend's (Sam or Dean) pocket and freaks out, because even though he's the love of her life, she just never thought herself to be the marrying kind. When she finds out that the ring was an evidence from a hunt (or something like that), she is relieved and that kind of hurts him a little, even though it wasn't his intention to propose to her immediately. And then go somewhere from that. Thanks in advance!" -Anon (Tumblr)

Pairing: Sam x Reader

Warnings: none

Words: 1457

You looked at Sam with a smile as you walked through the grocery store. You were running out of food in the Bunker, and you wanted to take a ride with Sam. It's been awhile since the two of you had had time alone together, since Dean insisted on having more "brotherly bonding", especially with what happened with Lucifer and such. He finally figured out that this life is guaranteed death and  Dean doesn't want to waste another second not having brotherly moments.

And even though you love Dean to death, you still wanted those little moments where you and Sam were together without any distractions. Yes, there were people around you, but they weren't bothering you every time you tried to duck in for a kiss.

"$221.75," the cashier said. She sent you a small smile as Sam dug through his pockets for his wallet, and you returned the smile before looking back at Sam.

"I think I left my wallet in the Impala," he said, talking you more than her. "I'll be right back." He kissed you on the cheek, but you grabbed his elbow, preventing him from leaving.

"I'll get it," you persisted.

"You sure?" he asked and you nodded, making your way to the car. "It's in my jacket pocket!" he called after you and you waved him off.

You had managed to snag a parking spot near the front, so it wasn't a long walk. Upon reaching the car, you opened the backseat door and grabbed his jacket, reaching into his pocket for the wallet. As you pulled it out, you froze when you heard something metallic fall to the ground. Tossing the jacket back into the car, you bent down and picked up... an engagement ring.

Your chest squeezed in panic as you looked at the ring. To be honest, it was beautiful, a thin, silver band with a round diamond that is at least three carats. But the beauty it held didn't matter, seeing as you never planned that far ahead in your life. Sure, you loved Sam more than anything, and you'd do anything to keep him breathing, but... to you, marriage was just a piece of paper.

You hesitated as you thought about whether or not to return the ring to his pocket. Soon, you found yourself shoving it into your own pocket, thinking that if he didn't have the ring, he couldn't propose to you.

Closing the door, you made your way back to the grocery store.

---

The ride home seemed to drag on, but maybe it was because Sam was intentionally taking the long route. You were silent, which struck Sam odd, but you were too deep in thought as your hand remained in your jacket pocket, playing with the diamond ring. When Sam spoke, you jumped and pulled your hand out of your pocket quickly.

"What?"

"I asked if you wanted anything to eat," he repeated himself. "Y'know, we can stop at a diner or something before heading back." You knew he wanted to keep the two of you alone for the sake of peace and quiet, but a diner? With the thought of the ring in your head, a diner seemed an appropriate place to propose. Diners held audiences, and saying no in front of an audience was kind of a jerk move.