Chapter Sixteen

It was a quiet Sunday evening, a few hours after dinner had ended. Since Eddie's family considered Sunday a day of rest, they hardly had any activities. In the morning they went to Mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral before shopping for souvenirs at the nearby stores. They headed home soon after they had lunch at a restaurant, and they had not left the house since. The guests did not complain; it was not like they could not do anything in the house. The last time Eddie checked, José and Celestine were reading in the library, Letizia was taking a dip in the pool, and Jon and Stella were hanging out in the playground. Eddie lounged on his bed as he gazed out the window. He was not somnolent enough to fall asleep, but felt too indolent to do anything.

Ring, ring. Eddie picked up his phone and answered the call.

"Hello?" Eddie said.

"Hi, Eddie," Giorgino greeted him. "Sorry to bother you during the weekend, but, are you fine if we schedule a make-up lesson?"

"I'm fine, sure," Eddie answered. "I was thinking of asking you about that, actually, but since you're busy I didn't want to disturb you. So when are we meeting?"

"How about tomorrow morning—I mean—your tonight?"

"Sounds good, I can make it."

"Great. I'll see you in a few hours."

"Wait, Elder, what about Stella?" Eddie inquired. "She also missed a lesson."

"Oh, that. She doesn't need to have a make-up lesson actually, so only you will come tonight," Giorgino said.

Eddie nodded his head. "Okay. I'll see you in a few hours. Goodbye."

"Goodbye."

Eddie hung up and placed his phone on his bedside table. He covered his mouth as he yawned. His eyes glimpsed his wall clock. It was past nine o'clock. Eddie set the alarm on his cellphone. He then turned off the lights, decreased the room temperature, and wrapped himself in a duvet.

***

Eddie entered the practice room, closing the door behind him. He bowed. "Good morning, Elder."

"Good morning, Eddie!" his mentor greeted him. "Sorry I got you to come during the weekend; there was no other day where could schedule a make-up lesson."

"It's fine." Eddie leaned his bag against the wall. "I don't mind at all."

"Excellent. Just put your bag, drink your wake shake, and stand in front of me. I'll talk as you warm up."

Eddie walked towards his left side. A glass of thick, frothy beverage rested on top of a small table. As he gulped it down, dark square formed a few meters in front of Giorgino. A magical treadmill. Eddie stepped onto the square. It moved as soon as he set foot on it, starting slow until it sped up to a jogging pace. Eddie jogged as he listened to his mentor.

"So I know we've been working on your telekinesis for the past week," Giorgino began, "but I think we should go back to pyrokinesis for today. Do you remember what the definition of pyrokinesis is?"

"The ability to absorb, generate, and control fire and heat."

"Perfect. Now, so far I've only taught you how to create and control fire. I haven't taught you how to control pure heat. It's crucial to know how to control pure heat—unlike fire, you can shoot beams of heat underwater through convection. Last time you were defenseless underwater when you and your team had to fetch dragon tears, and I don't want you in that situation again.

"For now we'll use a heat-sensitive target and practice firing them through the air. After that, we'll try doing it underwater."

Eddie nodded. The treadmill soon slowed to a halt. He stepped off the square before it vanished into thin air.