The Café

I had been working at a local cafe for a while now, trying to get through school. Every day the same girl would come in and order the same thing every day. A slice of strawberry cake and a medium iced coffee. Her hair was as white as snow, and she radiated perfection.

After she left and I would go to collect what she left behind and dispose of it, she would only eat the strawberry off the top of her cake. I thought to myself, "I put a lot of effort into what I make. Why would she order it without eating it? Does she not like it?"

As the weeks went by I gathered my courage. I waited until a cold rainy day came. I was prepared to ask her, but she didn't come at her usual time. As I was staring at the door my older sister tapped my shoulder, "Ruby, you doing okay? Did you zone out again? Get back to work please." After an hour of disappointed waiting, I heard the ring of the bells above the door. She was here. I composed myself and ran to her table. With a shout I began, "I put a lot of effort into those cakes! Why would you order them if you won't eat them?" The girl looked me in the eyes and gave a simple answer, "I'm sorry, I've never been a big fan of sweets. I've just been buying them so I could see you every day." I blushed and fumbled for the right words, "Oh. I'm very sorry about that. You're so sweet. Thank you." I barely finished my words before running back and asking my sister Yang to give the girl her food. Half an hour passed by and she finally left. I looked at her plate, and for the first time ever, it sat empty, besides a lone note left on the table. "Call me sometime honey, xxx-xxx-xxxx". I tucked the note in the pocket of my pants and carried on with my day, my mind racing from the thoughts of her. I've never seen her like this. She's very pretty, and she seems very rich.

I kept asking myself, why would she ever be interested in someone like me? I'm not any different than any other girls. I felt someone prodding my shoulder, "Ruby? Hello? Earth to Ruby?" Yang asked with an inquisitive expression on her face. Yang was pretty. Prettier than me. What made me special? I couldn't get the question out of my mind. Soon my shift ended and I was faced with the deciding question, do I call her, or do I wait?