Veggie Burger (Part 2)

I was frozen, sputtering, staring up at Casanova's shadowy face. He gestured with a slant of his head and jerk of his thumb towards the alley around the corner.

"Do you mind? I know it's a little sketchy, but it's sort of protocol in my line of work..."

I shook my head, eyes wide, lips still slack, allowing him to lead me into the shadows of the narrow passage.

"Wh-- I thought--" I started. Mark had shut me down. What was Casanova doing here?

Casanova waved a dismissive hand, silencing my stammers.

"Mark? He's just overprotective. He's a good guy, I promise. But he just takes it all a little too seriously. This is his life, though, so." He shrugged like he was sure I'd understand, and leaned against the brick wall.

I blinked, trying to shake myself out of my daze.

"It's not your life?"

His head tilted to the side. "I s'pose it should be. It used to be." He paused. "I think that's why I'm interested in hearing your idea. As long as we're off the record, here, I'm willing to admit that I'm still fighting to keep momentum." He shrugged again. "Guess that sort of explains Mark being so uptight. Doesn't want me to blow my second chance."

My brows drew together. "I don't think that's possible. People love that you're back."

He chuckled darkly. "Not everyone."

I took a breath. My courage, along with my wits, was returning to me.

"That's why I wanted to meet with Mark."

Casanova nodded. "Collaboration with a local business owner? I like it."

"Exactly." I pointed to Ricky's. "Lana here would shut down the place to give you publicity."

His dark hood turned to look at the building. I imagined he was studying it, sizing up a possible canvas.

"It's doable." He turned back to me. "And by that I mean size, surface, and location. But there are plenty of other logistics we'd need to go over. If possible, I'd love to talk to Lana herself."

"Talk to me about what?"

Our heads whipped around to the back door of Ricky's, where Lana was standing in the doorway, a bulging trash bag sitting beside her. Her hands were on her hips, and she was eyeing Casanova with a fierce glare.

"Well, this is a first," said Casanova.

"Being caught in a sketchy situation in a dark alley?" Lana cocked a sassy eyebrow.

Casanova's head tilted again like he was considering it. "No, that happens more than you'd think. But this is the first time I've inexplicably felt guilty about it."

I smirked. "Lana's death glare can make you confess to crimes you didn't commit." I turned to Lana. "It's okay, Lana, I want you to meet him."

She looked uncertain. "Is this the bozo from inside that I threatened to chase with my butcher knife? 'Cause I can go get it."

I heard Casanova chuckle under his breath.

"No, this is someone you'll actually want to meet." I turned and gestured to the hooded man who had straightened and stepped up beside me. "This is Casanova."

Lana's eyes widened.

"THE Casanova?"

"THE Casanova is long dead, Ma'am; I've just taken up the mantle." Casanova leaned forward and stuck out his hand for her to shake. "Sorry about the--" he gestured to his hood-- "secrecy and sketchy alley meeting."

She took his hand, and in classic Lana style, wasn't speechless for long.

"Oh, I don't care about that. Don't matter to me what you look like. So," she  shook his hand firmly, "you're the artist Claire said she knew."

Casanova released her hand. "I've heard we have a mutual archenemy. Claire suggested a collaboration could have more influence than each of us on our own."

Lana's eyes lit up. "I'm in." She threw up her hands. "Whatever you want to do to my diner, inside or outside-- if it's buggin' Platt, I'm in. It needs a revamp anyway."

Casanova laughed. "No opinions? No caveats?"

"You want my opinion? The brighter the better. Make us impossible to ignore. We're not classy here." She shrugged and waved a hand at him. "You're the superstar. I trust you."

Casanova's smile leaked out through his voice. "That's what every artist longs to hear. Claire, can you hook Lana up with Mark's number? You can contact me through him, and we'll set up a time." He held up a finger to Lana. "Just-- don't chase him down with that butcher knife of yours. I still need him."

Lana grinned. "I knew I'd like you as soon as I saw that moss on Platt's house. I better get back inside, though-- the boys are gonna think I went on a murderous rampage!"

I was smiling as Casanova turned back to face me.

"She's fierce. I'm glad we're allies!" He pointed to the door Lana had disappeared through.

I laughed. "She's great. And you are, for doing this," I gestured to the diner. "It means a lot to her, but I think it'll mean a lot to others, too."

"I hope so." Casanova got quiet. "I haven't always used my art to send messages. But recently I haven't been able to shake the desire to use it to say things. I think I can do good, you know? If people listen to me..." He shrugged.

"People listen to you."

He didn't answer for a moment. "I don't want to be known for defacing things. I want to be known for changing things. Making things beautiful."

I paused. It was surreal, this conversation I was having. With Casanova, in the flesh.

"Are you always this open with people you don't know?" I asked.

I could hear the smile in his voice. "No. But I snuck around my loyal bodyguard tonight because I think this is something worth letting our guard down for." He shrugged. "Besides, it's nice once in a while-- I'm always hiding. When I'm out here, when I'm back in my normal life. And Mark's not exactly the warm, fuzzy type," he added.

I snorted. "That's for sure." I looked down at the bag in my hand, remembering Mark's abandoned burger for the first time since running into Casanova. Dad had probably eaten by now.

"Hey," I held it up. "You want a veggie burger?"

"More than anything."

I wanna hear what y'all are thinkin about the new dream team! I definitely wouldn't want to be up against them. Let me know in the comments and don't forget to hit that star :)

Chapter song is Heaven by Amber Run.