8. The Hidden Message 2/3

I reached for the bedside lamp and put the light back on. Then I took the book, opened its worn pages and searched for the "angel" again.

"Ok, now what is this 1-1... Probably it means words. So the first word is 'To'," I reached for my notebook and wrote the word on top of a page, "but why the second number one..."

I stared at the interpretation of angel but did not get it.

"Could it mean the word is a pair with some other word...?" I asked Nugget who instead of looking at me tucked his nose under his paw in a silent protest at being disturbed by the light again.

"OK, let's give that a try then. If it is a pair of words, then logically the next word is the other half of the pair," I announced and wrote the word "You" on the right side of the word ""To". I noticed both words were written with a capital letter. Another mistake by the printing press, it seemed.

Or was it...?

"2-2..."

I wrote the next two words on the left side of the notebook page, and the two words after that on their right side. Now I had three words on the left "To dream of" and three on the right: "You hold in". Both beginning with capital letters, both... the beginnings of a sentence!

Quickly I wrote the words 3-3, to the left came "angels is prophetic" and to the right "your hands a".

"To dream of angels is prophetic' and 'You hold in your hands a'," I mumbled out loud, excited I had cracked the code, "and now it seems it is back to 1-1 again... 'of' goes to the left and 'book' to the right... Then 2-2..."

When I had finished, on the left it said, "To dream of angels is prophetic of disturbing influences in the soul. It brings a changed condition of the person's lot." And on the right I had written "You hold in your hands a book about the gates between our human world and the Unseen Worlds".

Before Kitty's death I would have stopped reading right there, following Mom's advice that such subjects were not safe to study. But did I? Have a guess. Instead of closing the book, I searched for the next word in the dream on the cover.

"Ghosts," I whispered to Nugget whose whiskers twitched in his sleep and whispered the words of explanation to ghosts the dream book: "To The dream of legends have the ghost of always told of either another one of level of your parents, denotes existence, or parallel that worlds. you are exposed to danger, and you should be careful in forming partnerships with strangers."

I wrote fast now, and to the left of my notebook page appreared a sentence telling me that "The dream of the ghost of either one of your parents, denotes that you are exposed to danger, and you should be careful in forming partnerships with strangers." And to its right I had written "The legends have always told of another level of existence, or parallel worlds".

"Sky is the next word..."

This time I did not bother writing the dream interpretation anymore, but just wrote down the other words. "Sky" revealed the sentence "These are not merely stories – these worlds really exist".

I felt goose bumps rising on my arms. There was a hidden message in the book, and the handwritten dream was the key to it. You had to read the words in the right order to get the message.

I could not stop now. Mechanically I reached for a chocolate and wrote down what the word "fighting" would add to the story. "There are many who have found their way to the other realities and many who would want to find the way."

I did not notice the time passing, Sentence by sentence the odd story appeared in my notebook.

"So keep this book hidden, and do not speak of it to others else you put yourself in danger. These Unseen Worlds are all around us. We can live there in our physical bodies, and we travel through them when it is our time to leave our earthly existence. Sometimes it is possible to make contact with those who have already died, though this is not easy for our lack of the finer senses needed for such contact.

"There have always been people who can contact the other side, usually through years of study. Some are naturals. And frequently these people are labelled mad, swindlers, or servants of the devil. And there have certainly been plenty of swindlers taking advantage of the grief of others, pretending to be mediums. But there are also those who can see and hear the souls of those who have passed."

My eyes were glued to the dream book and my notes.

"The afterlife exists, and there is a buffer zone between our physical world, and the afterlife. People can reach this buffer zone in their sleep. Some people learn to wake themselves up when they are in this buffer zone. This is called lucid dreaming. It is a skill that can be learned, but usually it only lasts a few seconds.

"And this is also the level to which those that have gone before can return with relative ease. Here they try to communicate with their sleeping loved ones, and this results in vivid dreams where we meet with our departed ones. Our finer senses are awake when our earthly senses are asleep, and can make it possible for us to remember those dreams, usually a few moments after we wake up, and before our analytical mind explains the dreams away as wishful thinking."

I threw the blanket aside, got up and took Kitty's letter from between the pages of the dictionary where I had hidden it, and read what she had written about Darryl. And the other thing she had written about... where was it... there: "Maybe I'll drop a book for you to read - that would get your attention, bookworm that you are. Yes, I just might contact you through a book. I cannot tell you what it is, because I have to keep its secret, and someone other than you might find this letter. Still, it has to do with dreams. You will understand what I mean when the time comes."

When I read these words, my skin turned to goose bumps. Had Kitty got this very book too? If so, from whom? Would that explain her great interest in what happened after death? Suddenly I remembered my dream from the night Kitty died, the one where she was fetched by an angel... and how she had given him what looked like a book... Now it was not only my skin that was all over goose pimples - I felt my hair standing up on end, too.

"What is not known is that there are openings into this buffer zone from the physical world. If someone manages to train their mind to keep awake, they can come and go to and from this zone freely, using these gates. They can only reach their own level, which is dictated by their energies. This means there are very dark and heavy places there, created by dark minds, as well as lighter ones. The deeper a person goes into the buffer zone, the less time has an effect on them. Whoever stays there doesn't grow any older, even when time is passing in the physical world. "

I was beginning to wonder about the modern termsused in this book. Exactly how old were the expressions "bufferzone", "analytical mind" or "lucid dreaming"? Muchmore modern than this little book's appearance. The next sentence answered thisquestion.