Chapter 17

Resting the night before was easier than last for all of us. Knowing that our lost friend is now safe and sound, and not in the hand of the Decepticons.

From what had been said, Ratchet repaired Sideswipe's damages and he should be up and running now, but no fighting. On the good side of things, it looked as if Megatron didn't do any extra damage to the bot' as he was held captive. Not that it was known to me that they would do such things, they were in the middle of a war. At this point anything is possible.

Everyone is presently in the Autobot hanger, updating Sideswipe on recent news on what all had happened, which isn't much. Being with them, for all this time now, has made me begin to think they really aren't all that bad. One thing they still need to prove to me is there loyalty to humans. Yes, they have seemed to do that okay, but innocent civilians have died in their battles all the time. Breaking the hearts of so many families. Mine included, that's just something I can't forgive so easily.

"We're glad you have returned safely, Sideswipe." Optimus ended, still with the same leadership tone as always.

Has this ever happened before? I thought to myself. The Autobots themselves seemed prepared for something like this. Back when it began, they were sad and it seemed out of control but when I gave them that ounce of hope, they seemed to know what to do. Bringing up the ship, everyone was prepared to fight for Sideswipe. Although desperate times do change people, I still believe it possible someone must have been kidnapped before then.

"Has that ever happened before?" I asked, looking up to Optimus who stopped talking to Ironhide and looked to me.

"Well," he began. "Yes, yes it has." Sideswipe cut him off, with a flash of a smile.

"What happened?" Looking down to my feet at his sadness.

"Well, it was back before we came here to Earth. The war was still going on and it was at its zenith. I was on a mission with my team, under Prime's rule. At the time, I had a brother with the name of Sunstreaker. As we were going through the regular set ups, he was captured, and took back to the Decepticon Base."

"Never to return." Ironhide finishes, with a dole look in his eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry for your loss, Sideswipe."

"Yeah, but now we're here. We've lost friends, and gained new ones." He brightened up a bit. "Remember the time Optimus earned a limp trying to save the Major's life?"

"What?" I mumbled, looking for an answer as Lennox chuckles slightly.

"Ha, yeah. Although my life doesn't matter compared what's at stake, Optimus." He scolded, shaking a finger, and chuckling to himself.

"You have a family to take care of. I'm sure I can deal with a minor limp." Optimus replied, smiling.

"What exactly happened?" I spoke up.

"Well, the Decepticons are still interested in knowing all of N.E.S.T's knowledge. Megatron wanted to get to one of the soldiers to interrogate us, I,  being the one he chose." Lennox explains.

"And as he tried to capture him, Optimus stopped him but in the process, earning a gash in his leg that gave him a limp." Epps ended, pointing to the giant bot'.

"I..I didn't think all of you guys did that." I murmured, feeling bad that I had thought so down on these guys.

"That's nothing, what about the time Ratchet lost almost the entire feeling in his left arm." Ironhide added, looking to Ratchet who had just walked up.

"Wasn't that just a joy to deal with." He said bluntly. He chuckled to himself. "To save a life, it was nothing bad," he shook his head.

"Ratchet did about the same thing. Although, this was to save the life of many civilians. He's a medic, not a soldier, as you already know. But, for war you have to go to extra lengths to fight, and as a battle was raging on, N.E.S.T didn't have time to get to the civilians in time. So, Ratchet went instead. Of course, the Decepticons were there and almost cut off his entire arm! Him being the medic made it hard for him to replace it himself." Sideswipe describes, slightly amused.