Lestrade: Before the Awkward (Part 1)

You strolled into Greg's office, balancing a bowl of cereal in one hand, and a spoon in the other. He glanced up momentarily at you, then went back to his papers.

"Morning," he greeted, his voice husky in the early morning hours. "What are you up to?"

"Eating," you replied simply, taking a seat across from his desk.

"Nothing new there," he teased. You threw a cheerio at him. He laughed at your miss (it was about a foot off its target) and tossed his pen carelessly down on his desk. He leaned back in his chair, resting his hands behind his head.

"You're so funny Gregory, absolutely hilarious," you replied dryly. He smirked at your sarcasm.

"Any plans for the holidays? We get three whole days off, how will you spend it?" he asked, now fiddling with his pen again.

"Go to my parents, watch football with my brothers, eat until I can't walk, be pestered by my mum about my love life; you know, the usual." He chuckled lightly.

"I'm telling you, just take Sherlock and tell your mum that's your boyfriend," he suggested, now tossing a plush football up into the air.

"My mother already knows Sherlock and the fact that he's like a brother to me - she'd think I'd gone crazy if I brought him home as my boyfriend."

"What if you brought me?" Your heart leaped momentarily, but you quieted it.

"She would insist that we're not just friends and I would never hear the end of it."

"I mean what if you brought me home as your boyfriend?" You watched him toss the ball up and down so casually, as if the words that had just come out of his mouth were completely normal. They are normal, he's just curious. You shook your head, snapping out of the momentary daze.

"Don't even get me started," you groaned, trying to play off your shaky voice by stuffing your mouth with cereal.

"(Y/n)!" he begged, "I want to know."

"Fine," you grumbled, although secretly you were thrilled that he was so interested. "First, she'd make me come over 3 hours early just to help her clean. Then, she'd beg me to actually dress nice so that I'd 'look like a lady'. Finally, she would coo over you, asking you questions and commenting on how much of a gentleman you are."

"That's not bad at all. You know it's just because she cares," he reasoned. You rolled your eyes.

"You haven't even met her and she's already rubbing off on you."

"I'd be more scared of your brothers anyways, and especially your dad," he commented, tossing the ball to you.

"You watch football and drink - you'd fit right in." You tossed the ball back to him.

"You mean your dad wouldn't question me about my 'intentions' and such?"

"The only thing he'd ask is why you would even want to date anyone like me." Greg chuckled, looking off aways, like he was lost in thought. Hurriedly, you tried to change the subject.

"What about you Detective Inspector? Any big plans?" He threw the ball once more to you, and you caught it smoothly between your hands.

"Dinner with the in-laws. And visiting my mum." He motioned for you to throw the football back, but you hesitated. In-laws?!

"Don't you mean ex in-laws?" He sighed and rubbed a hand through his brown hair that was slowly fading to a silver color.

"Yes. Becca and I decided that it was best we have one more happy family outing together, for the kids sake, before the divorce is finalized." You shook your head in disbelief.