29

Derek's POV

The loud voices that fly around my head make me dizzy. I couldn't think straight even if I wanted to at this point. She couldn't be a hybrid, I would've know hell she would've known by now. I want to be back to an hour ago when I was laid next to Maize in our bed, my fingers twirling around the ends of her hair as she rambled on about the new book series she found. Her mouth ever so often leaving wet kisses up my chest and jaw just to taunt me and make sure I was listening. How could I pay attention to anything she was saying when her brown eyes held so much passion and excitement they almost lit up, her lips lifted in a permanent smile as she spoke. I had to continue to cut her off just so I could remind her how much I loved her and how beautiful she looked. Her cheeks redden just like they always do when I complement her, she murmurs a quick "shush" before going back to her story.

"Alpha!" a member shouts knocking me back to reality. "What are we going to do?" follows and I look to my side at Spike who's face holds the same amount of distraught as mine. "We will go and question her." I finally say which makes them erupt in comments and questions, one in particular sticks out. "What did you just say?" I spit sharply narrowing my eyes towards the man it came from. "All I said was that maybe you shouldn't be the one doing the questioning." My eyes light up as Spike presses a hand to my shoulder. "You're a bit bias is all." he adds only fueling my rage "So what ? you expect me to let a whole bunch of apoplectic werewolves question her? Not going to fucking happen." I snap shutting him down before trudging out of the room only a few pack members following me this time.

A black folder is shoved into my face as we are walking to find Maize "What the hell is this?" I can't help but let my voice be filled with anger if not anger it'll be worry. I turn it over to see 'Maize Adams' written on a white sticker across it. My anger spikes my body shifting around to find who threw this in my face, the man looks terrified as he tries to walk away. "You went behind me and investigated my girlfriend?!" I roar my chest rising at an unhealthy pace. Before I think both my hands are wrapping around his throat. I can feel the anger pumping through my veins. I could snap his neck right here and now and I should. How dare him try and treat my Maize as some sort of criminal.

"Derek?" the gentle voice knocks me out of my blinded rage my hands falling quickly from his throat and turning to look at her. Her eyes are wide and filled with question, but no fear and I'm thankful. The last thing I want is to scare her or make her fear me. "Hi baby." I whisper walking towards her and pulling her by the waist to my chest. I let out a deep breath as her body relaxes into mine, my face falling into the crook of her neck. "Did you enjoy your nap?" I question my thumbs running under hers eyes as she begins rambling about how she was watching a Forensic Files show and I scowl her gently swearing that they'll give her nightmares. Spike and the other members watch the ongoing conversation until Will clears his throat causing Maize to perk up and move away from me. I should punch him for that I think to myself but let it slide reluctantly.

"What's going on?" Maize asks so softy it breaks my heart. I reach out my hand for hers and she gladly takes it letting me pull her closer to me. "We just need to talk to you lovely." I promise her and she nods fully cooperative following us down into my office. She sits cross legged in one of the leather chairs in front of my desk. She eyes the members circled around her wearily "Sit." I order my eyes narrow and there's not enough chairs but they get the hint and disperse to corners of the room.

Me and Spike share concerned glances not fully knowing how to go about this without upsetting her. Ben sees how at lost we are and takes the seat beside her grabbing her hand softly "Can you tell us about your family Maiz?" She shifts uncomfortably looking at me and I nod her on with a small smile. "Anything about them like what made you move here?" he questions and I give him a warning look muttering a sharp 'One question at a time.'