Chapter 1

Chapter 1- Jane's POV

Jane watched with indifference as the ground neared her as the plane landed. Making sure her sunglasses, hood, and gloves were in place, Jane exited the plane , stepping into the crowded airport of Atlanta, Georgia. It was noon so she knew that she must be careful with the stray patches of sunlight revealing themselves through the large windows lining the terminal. 

She had no bags considering that Aro believed she would only be gone three days at the most, so Jane weaved her way out of the airport and down the sidewalk. Sticking to the shadows, Jane cautiously made her way into the pine trees when she was certain no curious eyes were glancing her way. Jane sat quietly on a tree stump in the middle of the forest, debating what to do now. It would certainly be easier and less dangerous for her to simply do her task and return to Volterra. A frustrated hiss filled the otherwise silent forest as Jane cursed herself. No, she couldn't go back there, never again.

Although Jane had her plan set before leaving the Volturi's castle, her locked away doubts rushed over her during the boring, blood filled plane ride. Jane had originally planned to go to the Cullens and ask for their help, but why would they help her? The cold hearted witch twin? Pushing back her silk hood, Jane sighed and stared up at the sunlight scattering through. 

A soft breeze brought Jane's relaxed position to an end as she stood up defensively. The scent of two other vampires was distinct against the musky forest. A moment later, two young male vampires stood about a mile away from Jane, their still glowing eyes flashing in curiosity. Newborns, Jane thought, appraising the stone still boys. Obviously they were almost a year old considering they had not immediately attacked her, but their human flesh was still lingering in their bodies.

"And who would you be?" the tall and lean boy asked slowly as the second boy developed a crooked grin. Jane rolled her eyes and gracefully lept down from the tree stump that had served as her pedestal. 

"I believe I should be asking you that question, don't you agree?" the innocent voice prodded them as Jane circled the wariy, yet curious boys. The grin on the second turned into a full blown smirk as his eyes traveled over Jane's petite but lovely figure, making her internally gag. 

"Considering you're  on our turff, I would have to disagree, hun," replied the same tall boy as he stepped in front of Jane, breaking her circle. In a flash invisible to the mortal eye, both boys had jumped at Jane. In this same second, Jane flitted over them and turned, smiling at their backs.

Screams of pain scattered the few remaining birds as the first vampire fell to the ground, twitching and begging for mercy. The second vampire stared in shock and horror before running away. Quickly disposing of the first body, Jane followed the less than silent companion and took him down as well.

Admiring her work, Jane almost felt a twinge of regret at her actions. She had almost reacted the same as before she was freed from the Volturi's bond. Almost, but not quite Jane assured herself as she pulled her hood up once more and sprinted deeper into the forest. Still not sure on whether she would visit the Cullens or not, Jane directer her path through as many forests and remote locations as possible, not letting her mind become involved in her blind dash.

Pausing on the outskirts of a small town, Jane looked up at the darkening sky and smiled to herself. Time to hunt. With eyes now closer to black than red, Jane stealthily followed her nose to a small camp site where a young couple laughed. 

***

Morning would soon break and Jane finished setting up her "tragedy scene". After draining the lovebirds, Jane had set to work making the scene appear as if a wild animal had preyed upon the unknowing couple. Close enough to the truth, Jane thought grudginly as she turned her back on her work and made her way towards an isolated gas station where she could find a map. In her blind running, Jane had lost track of where she was. 

Stepping gracefully through the small gas station store, Jane ignored the cashier's stare and walked over to the maps. Gates, Oregon, Jane thought as she mentally mapped her way from there to Forks, Washington. A six hour trip for a  car and an hour trip for Jane. 

Placing the map back and smiling innocently at the bewildered cashier, Jane made her way to the forest once again. To seek the Cullens help or not to seek the Cullens help, that was the question.

The thought of begging those strange vampires for help made Jane's stomach roll, but the thought of returning to the life she held in Volturi was worse. Swallowing her pride and hoping for the best, Jane made her final decision and began to run once again as the sunrise broke over the horizon.