Fifteen {15}

Sorry I haven't uploaded. Enjoy!

/-/-/-/-/

A week later, I still hadn't spoken to Seth. I'd tried, oh, how I'd tried. But he was persistent on ignoring me. And I was persistent on making him look at me, speak to me. 

I watched him walk home, I watched him go to the library, I watched him laugh with his friends, I watched him act like nothing had happened. For him, nothing had happened. For me, the world had happened.

Now, I watched as he walked into the class we shared, and I watched him purposely avoid looking at me or the empty seat at the lab table I sat it. I kept my head down, hoping he'd sit next to me, but at the same time hoping he wouldn't. 

"Take a seat, Mr. Johnson, we don't have all day," our teacher, Ms. Farkley, said, walking quickly to her desk and placing her things down. "There's a chair right by Mr. Wright, no need to dawdle."

Reluctantly, Seth took her advice and sat down. I looked up to meet his eyes, to say hi, to say something... But he ignored me and kept his gaze straight. I let out a breath and slumped in my seat.

"On your desks are scissors and a paper with different chromosomes on them..." Ms. Farkley began.

I leaned over. "Seth." He didn't answer.

"Not every page has the perfect 46 chromosomes..."

"Seth, please."

"Some might have an extra 21 or only one 18..."

"What?" he mumbled. I slid my stool closer.

"It's your job to cut them out and paste them into their corresponding slots on this second paper I'm handing out."

"I've been trying to talk to you..."

"Then you'll find which you have an extra or less of..."

"I know."

"Then hear me out."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because you hurt me."

"I'll fix it, I promise."

Ms. Farkely went on, "The person you're sitting next to has the same sheet..."

"Please, Seth. I need to talk to you."

"But every lab table's pairing of chromosomes is different."

"I'm trying to be better, I'm trying to stop hurting people."

"If there's an extra chromosome it's called a trisomy."

"I'm trying to stop hurting you."

"Mr. Wright, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Ms. Farkley looked annoyed, pissed off. She stood at the front, her hands on her hips. The students in front of me turned around to look, and everyone behind repositioned their eyes to the drama.

This was it. My chance. 

"Um, yes." Seth looked at me quizzically. "I do have something to tell you."

I stood.

Seth grabbed my wrist and hissed, "Sit down." But I kept on standing.

I embraced what was about to come. I welcomed the stares and the gapes and the hate.

"I'm gay. And I'm in love."

And then this: I leaned down, so fast he couldn't have stopped it even if he wanted to. I leaned down and took his face in my hands. I kissed him, so hard it could've shattered our teeth. The class gasped, Seth gasped, Ms. Farkley gasped. It was monumental.