Chapter 24: Date and memories

Katie and Janice lay in their beds looking up at the ceiling laughing. They were talking to at least 1:00 in the morning telling each other funny stories they remember back when they were little.
"Hey, Janice, I remember I was about 5 and Kelly was 7 we decided to play pirate ships in the bathroom, so Kelly stood on the toilet seat while I stood in the bath. I decided that I wanted to swing on the shower curtain and I swung on it and broke off the railing and I was flung off on the floor and I was screaming the place down." Katie told Janice laughing.
Janice giggled, "ouch, that just of been painful."
"By the way, changing the subject, how did you and Quinn get together in the first place? I mean no offence but he's never been interested in girls before." Katie said propping her elbow up letting her black wavy hair dangle freely to one side.
"Well we got on so well when he showed me round the school, and he was just so funny and he'd take me out to places like town and stuff and that's until one night when the mood was right he got all cute and awkward and I knew exactly what he was going to say and he just kissed me, and I didn't back away." Janice explained.
"That reminds me of me and Tom back in year 10." Katie chuckled lying back down putting her arm across her forehead.
"Oh yeah?" Janice mocked raising an eyebrow, "I never got to know how you two got together."
"Oh it was a roller coaster ride to be honest. Me and Tom have been friends since primary, and Quinn as well. It was just us three telling jokes to each other doing those little nativity plays together every Christmas. Trust me we did everything together." Katie explained.
"If it was just you, Quinn and Tom as friends how did you finally start to have feelings for Tom?" Janice asked.
"Well we were just close friends in primary but in year 7 we started to get a bit more closer, he would send these notes in the classrooms to me, he would even make paper aeroplanes and throw them to me across the classroom." Katie said.
Janice smiled, "what did they say?"
"They said things like 'I love the perfume your wearing' or 'Katie please watch me play football at lunch' they creeped me out slightly but when we got to year 9 we started to hang out more, like go into the city centre together or little cafes." Katie explained.
"So what happened in year 10 then hun?" Janice asked.
"Well he took me out to the cinema and after we stopped at this park and he finally told me that he really liked me and I said 'well of course we've been best friends ever since primary' and he came out with 'no I don't mean like as friends I mean as, like, you and me.' I was just sitting there on the bench like wtf is he going to do or say next."
Janice sat up and stared at her, "and what did he do?"
"Long story short he kissed me then that was it, that's how we got together. I told Kelly and she would not stop banging on about it, it was constant and it got to the point where she told mum and dad and grandad when we were eating."
"What did they say?"
"Well soon as Kelly came out with 'Katie's got a boyfriend and she kissed him' my dad nearly choked on a piece of broccoli." Katie explained.
Janice accidentally burst out laughing too loud that Katie's dad came in groggily in the doorway.
"Girls keep your voices down please you don't want to wake Ellie up." He grumbled walking sloppily away.
Katie pulled a dirty look where he was last standing, "ignore him, he's always a moody ass when he gets woken up or he's tired."
"It's fine, my fault for accidentally laughing out loud." Janice chuckled.
Katie nodded.
After an hour of talking about more random stuff the girls fell asleep.

Janice woke up about half 9 ish she was always the early bird at her friends houses and unfortunately for her Katie was quite a heavy sleeper. Katie's back was turned to her and she was on her side with her black wavy hair all swooped to the side as well. Janice didn't want to be cruel as Katie looked really peaceful but she wanted to wake Katie up.
Before Janice got a chance to do anything Katie's phone pinged from her bedside table. Janice crawled over and pressed lightly on the top button to see who the message was from. Tom.
T- I know your having a sleepover and that but later on do you want to come out 😘🙃
Janice grabbed a pillow from where she was sleeping and whacked it across Katie's head.
"Katie get up! Your going on a date!" Janice screamed at her.
Katie stirred and groaned muttering something that Janice couldn't understand.
"What? Sorry Katie I couldn't understand a word you were saying then."
Janice whacked the pillow on her again, "Katie wake up I'm hungry!"
"It's too early." Katie mumbled.
"Katie." Janice said in a warning tone.
"Right well I shouldn't have to do this but I warned you." Janice said getting her hands out.
Janice ragged the covers off Katie then pushed Katie off the bed making Katie scream.
"Ow, Jan what the hell.." She moaned.
"Tom texted you." Janice told Katie.
Katie perched her head up and quickly scrambled to her feet then crawled across the bed to get her phone.
Janice watched her patiently as Katie stares at her phone then texted back.
"Come on Katie I'm starving." Janice said as Katie out her phone back on the bedside table. 
"All right come on then." Katie sighed as her and Janice made their way downstairs.

It just 3:00 in the afternoon when Tom came in front of the cinema waiting for Katie, he'd felt guilty after the past few years for not showing up for her dates. After 10 minutes Katie came, she had straightened her hair so it was up to her ribs and she was wearing blue skinny jeans with a pink T-shirt and over it was a red and white checkered shirt.
She ran up to him, "Tom I'm so sorry I'm late I got held up by my sister."
Tom smiled, "it's fine don't worry about it."
"By the way your paying for the popcorn." Katie chuckled.
"I was going to do that anyway." Tom grinned.
"Come on." Katie said as they went in.

An hour and a half later
"God, that film was amazing." Katie said.
"Yeah I nearly started crying at the end. Anyway how was the sleepover with Janice?" Tom asked.
Katie nodded, "it was really good, but she did push me off the bed this morning because I didn't wake up, it's not my fault I'm a heavy sleeper." Katie explained.
"What you and Quinn did in maths was just classic." Tom chuckled.
Katie smiled up at him. "Well, since primary I think we've always been rebels."
Tom took her hand, "well after that movie I think we deserve a pizza."
Katie stared at him, "Tom we've just ate a massive box full of popcorn."
Tom shrugged his shoulders, "oh well."
Katie rolled her eyes, "ok then, pizza it is."
As the two walked down the street passing shops Katie suddenly winced and clutched her stomach.
Tom stopped and looked down at her.
Concerned he quickly came to her aid putting his arms round her, "are you alright?"
Katie stood straight taking deep breaths in.
"I think so."
"Katie you really need to get this appendix removed you have no choice." Tom told her.
"Yes I do, I'm not getting it removed the pains come and go it's fine." She said sharply.
"I'm not making you go, I just don't want to see you in pain like this." Tom said calmly.
Katie's face softens, "I know I'm sorry, I just, I don't like things to do with operations."
Tom nodded, "it's fine."

In Tom's head, he was screaming inside, if Katie doesn't get this operation soon...
God knows what will happen to her.