Prologue

I bolted upright in my bed. My heart was slamming against my ribcage as I peered around the pitch black room.

I could've sworn I heard something. I thought.

I kept completely still struggling to calm my erratic breathing as I strained to hear a single noise. I exhaled loudly after minutes passed without a single sound. I hadn't realised how worked up I got myself. It was probably just a dream. Pulling the duvet back over my body I began to snuggle back into the worn cocoon of blankets. Just as my head hit the soft downy pillow I heard a loud crash.

Okay, I didn't imagine THAT!

Untangling myself from the covers I carefully eased myself out of bed. Making sure to tread carefully, I tip-toed toward my door. I noticed a baseball bat propped up against my bookcase. I snatched it up and slung it over my shoulder. I reached for the doorknob. Turning it slowly I peered around the door into the darkened hallway...

Satisfied the coast was clear I began to inch my way down the stairs, keeping my back pressed firmly to the wall. As I reached the top of the stairs I heard some more shuffles. There was a thud and someone cussed under their breath.

Shit am I being burgled? No of course not stupid. You live in a huge mansion that everyone knows is practically empty. Why would someone try to rob you? My subconscious was extremely sarcastic.

I shook my head trying to distract myself from the internal babble clouding my mind. Tightening my grip on the bat like I was getting ready to hit a home run, I began creeping down the stairs. When I reached the bottom I held my breath, listening to see if anyone had heard my descent.

More noises sounded from down the hall. They sounded distant so I decided that the intruder was oblivious. I followed the sounds of shuffling to the kitchen. Pressing my back to the wall I steeled myself taking big deep breaths.

OK Amber, you can do this. Just walk in, flick on the light and whack him over the head. What could be easier?

Taking one last breath I rounded the corner and peeked into the kitchen. There was a large dark silhouette struggling in the window. It looked like whoever it was had gotten themselves stuck while they tried to wriggle in through the open window. I smirked. 

Dumbass.

I reached out. Just as my fingertips brushed the light switch illuminating the colossal kitchen in a blinding light, the intruder tumbled to the floor cursing.

I grabbed the bat with both hands. The intruder shook his messy caramel hair and lifted himself off of the floor so that he was on all fours. Closing my eyes tightly I let out a primal battle cry and swung the bat forward.

I was stopped mid-swing as someone grabbed the bat from my fingers, pulling it easily out of my grasp. I gasped as someone spun me around and grabbed me from behind. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter, trying to control the fear that was rising in me making me feel sick.

Stupid! Stupid move!

My breathing spiked as I felt a strong arm circling my waist, their fingers brushing lightly against the exposed skin of my mid-drift. The other hand was holding the bat.

Oh shit! I'm dead! He's going to rape me...or worse.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ok, I've had a bunch of stories floating around inside of my head and this is one of them. It's my third uploaded story so I hope you like it.

Love you all! xxx