Mason was passing by me with his eyebrows raised cruelly. He send me a malicious glare as he stalked away. His friends joined him out of nowhere. I stood still for a while, waiting to calm down, and I managed to after the bell rang and all the kids had left the hallways, giving me weird looks along the way.

I walked to my history class, ignoring the teacher's confused stare when I hurried to the back. Everyone was going out of their way to look at me. Halfway through class, I noticed that Sarah was in this period too. I felt myself flush with anger.

She's not worth your attention. I kept telling myself. When the class was over, I hurried to my English class, which was another eighty-five minutes of hell, then it was lunch time. Instead of going to lunch, I went and sat outside my next class. It wasn't worth all the humiliation in the cafeteria just to eat lunch. I put my hood up so nobody could see that it was me and I could have some peace. As soon as I did that, I saw Jay and Tyler walking down the hall, and I was certain they saw me.

Shit.

I pretended that I didn't see them, and I was surprised when they walked right past me, giving me strange glances back and whispering to each other.

They're probably just scared that I'll rat them out.

Finally, after two more hours of torture, school was over, and I began my walk to the only movie rental store left in the city, where I hoped they'd give my blank resume a second glance.

I made it downtown after about thirty minutes. My leg was really starting to bother me now. I nervously walked into the rental store, looking around. The guy at the counter didn't bother looking up from his phone. I walked to the counter and he glanced up then back down to his phone. He seemed to be around my age, had some pretty big gauges and was chewing gum loudly.

"How can I help you?" He said, still looking at his phone.

"Um I was wondering if I could fill out an application? I have a resume..."

He quickly looked back up after I'd said that, seeming shocked.

"Really?" He asked, and I nodded.

"I doubt you'll even have to fill one out, we seriously need new workers. I'll go get the manager!" He said running to the back office. I was pretty shocked that I already had to talk to the manager, and tried mentally preparing myself.

The man came out and he looked around happily. He seemed like he was in his late sixties, close to retirement age. I stood there awkwardly, hoping I was prepared enough.

"This is the guy—" the guy working at the counter told his boss, motioning over to me. The manager quickly walked over to me and happily shook my hand.

"It's wonderful to meet you, so you're thinking of working here huh?" He said, letting my hand go after about five seconds.

Wow. They must really need workers to be happy to see me here.

I nodded.

"Oh yeah, I was wondering if you needed my resume or if I could fill out an application?" The manager shook his head.

"Oh no worries I'll just interview you now in my office!" He said and I nodded, following him to the back. I sat down silently on the chair across from his desk when we entered his office.

"So my name is Kevin Richards. What's yours?"

"Daniel Layman."

"So, what makes you want to work here Daniel?" He asked, pulling out a clipboard with questions on it from an old looking drawer. I shifted uncomfortably in the chair.

"I just wanted to start working, I thought this would be a fun environment, and would hopefully fit into my schedule nicely with school." He nodded, and wrote something down.

"How available would you be to work on a weekly basis?"

"Um probably every day after school and most of the weekends." I said, confident that I had no life. He nodded again.

"Do you have any previous work experience?" I shook my head awkwardly and looked at my hands.

"That's fine by me. If you fill this out you can start working here by next week!" I looked up surprised. That was the whole interview? Weren't these supposed to last like hours? He barely knew me and he'd just given me a job! I smiled.

"Thank you so much!" I said taking the paper he handed out and started filling it in. When I handed it back to him, he beamed and told me he was excited for me to start. I thanked him again and left, beginning to walk home.

I pulled out my phone to text Ethan the good news, and I saw that he'd called me three times, and left five messages on my phone. I called him and he answered on the second ring.

"Daniel are you okay?" He asked, sounding worried.

"Sorry- I haven't checked my phone at all! But I just got a job Ethan!" I said loudly. I looked around the now dark streets, making sure I wasn't disturbing anyone. While they seemed completely empty, I had a strange feeling that I was being watched.

"That's amazing! Where are you? I can pick you up, it's dangerous to be walking around at this time."

I felt frozen to the spot as I looked around me. All the ways home were dark alleyways that I didn't want to go near.

I told Ethan where I was.

"Yeah pick me up, it's creepy over here."

Vote and comment!
Q: when was the last time you went to a video store?