Chapter 5 - Permanent Residency

After practically drooling over the marble tiles in the foyer and trying to calculate how much just two tiles would cost (which only resulted in a stupid headache, by the way), I walked further into the house, looking around, talking to Exton about how ridiculous this house was. I mean it was legit, but there is definitely a fine line between, "I'm wealthy and I make a lot of money and so here's my tricked out house" and flaunting your wealth, intentionally, to make others envious.

Of course, Exton had no idea what I was talking about, and he shouldn't since he's only been alive for almost a year and is used to nothing else but this silver spoon life. He literally didn't have a say in the matter.

He kinda only looked at me and made those crazy baby noises that babies make when they want to respond to what you are saying, but don't exactly know how to. I nodded at him understanding his dilemma, feeling sorry for the guy. I myself had experienced the same frustration during my infancy, I'm sure, and I explained to him that it would pass very soon, like, maybe in a few months.

I explored the house for a few good seconds more before I was disturbed, yet again, by a distinctive meow that came from one of the living rooms. I was in the kitchen at the time, marveling at the size of the oven and the microwave that was so big I could fit about two Exton's inside, when I heard the meow again. I looked up and turned around, seeing two cats. One grey cat and one brown one. I jumped, making Exton whimper. 

I rocked him for about fifteen seconds before he shut up.

"What in the hell?" I whisper. Exton looks down at the cat's, pointing.

"Cah!" Exton shouts. I look at him, frowning.

"Do you know these animals? Are they... ya know, like a permanent residence here?" I heard footsteps behind me and turned to see Rob and Susan.

The cats pranced over to Robert and purred their little asses off. Robert smiled and laughed. I groaned, shaking my head.

"Cats, Rob?" I looked at Exton, handing him to his father. "Vomit-trocious."

Susan smiled at me. "You don't do cat's?" I backed away as one of the monstrosities tried to hiss at me.

"Uh, well it's nothing personal, ya know, just... I've always been more of a dog person... cats are more like antisocial bastards who kinda just sit around all day." I said.

Rob cleared his throat. "Lana, Hon." I looked at him and he shook his head. I sighed inwardly, knowing that what I just said made me sound like a bitch that hates cats. Which was very true, but still.

"Sorry." I whispered. There was about ten seconds of awkward silence before Rob kissed Exton and handed him back to Susan, who was walking out of the kitchen, away from her new weird-ass step daughter. Rob pushed me up the stairs and I let him... completely dissatisfied with the fact that I was already sticking out in this family like a fricking sore thumb.

He led me to a room right across from Exton's, at the very end of the hallway, and we walked in. I sat on the queen bed and, patted the comforter, appreciative.

"It's nice, the comforter. What, does it have feathers in it?" Rob nodded.

"This is your room, Alana."

I felt my eyes widen before they shrunk back to normal, laughing. "Good one, Robert."

Robert chuckled, rubbing his jaw. "I'm serious. It's yours."

"No it isn't." I looked around. "This... this can't be it."

The wallpaper looked new with its black background and golden designs in the middle and around the edges. That was the theme for the whole room apparently, black and a deep gold. The window seat had little black and gold pillows. The dresser and vanity mirror in the far right were painted black with gold details and the carpet was a mixture of both gold and black strands, squishy under my feet. There was a damn sitting area and a flat screen facing the bed on the wall. I looked back at Rob, incredulous.

"I don't believe you." I said, getting anxious when he still didn't say anything. "Rob, come on. This isn't it." I said, annoyed.

Robert looked confused, coming inside the room to sit on the desk. "Why isn't this it?"

I huffed. "'Cause it just isn't... this isn't... I mean I told you my favorite colors and stuff maybe three hours ago. You couldn't have gotten all this stuff ahead of time."

Something flashed in his eyes, worry, I think, but it was gone before I could say anything. Rob raised an eyebrow.

"How do you know I didn't just guess or ask Jake The A-hole what you liked?"

I sighed, throwing my head back and closing my eyes before opening them again. "ROB, can you please just show me my really, really, real room, por favor?"

He looked at me curiously. "What happened?" He asked, crossing his arms.

I looked at him like he was an idiot. "What? What happened when, what do you mean?"

He took off his Ray Bans glasses. "What happened to you to where you downplay everything... you act like nothing good or fun or even happy can happen to you because you, like, don't feel like it will last." He said, frowning.

"I mean, I'm not going to hurt you, Lana."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes. But Robert kept staring at me. "Is that what you're afraid of?" He asked quietly. "That I'm gonna hurt you?"

I didn't answer at first, staring at my lap. I bounced on the bed a little. "I don't know. Maybe." I said, looking up at him.

His eyes softened, and he smirked. "I won't. I swear."

"Okay." I said. pushing some of my hair from my face, smiling. "And, I do not downplay." Rob laughed.

"Then accept the fact that this is your goddamned room 'cause I paid good money for it and it needs to be fricking lived in." I shrugged.

"Whatever." I pulled off my beanie, got up and walked to my dresser, placing it in a drawer. "The room is now lived in." Rob rolled his eyes.

"Unpack, then come back downstairs." I threw him mocking salute and watched him walk away. I listened to his steps recede and then smiled wickedly before jumping onto the bed.

"HELL YEAH!"