Chapter 23

Abby couldn't think about anything while Alex kissed her

Abby couldn't think about anything while Alex kissed her. Gone were the dreaded thoughts about ghosts, Bryce, and her current shortcomings. The guilt burdening her felt like a bubble floating merrily away...far out of reach and threatening to evaporate at any moment.

She could feel the urgency in Alex's touch as if he too was trying to escape from something and it felt good. Like she wasn't alone. She wanted to melt in the heat of his embrace. Instead, she tightened her grip on his arms, pulling him closer.

The logical side of her mind warned her this wasn't a good idea-- that she would probably regret this come morning. She felt her damp shirt being lifted around her and she ignored the warning.

"Are you sure about this?" Alex asked.

Abby opened her eyes and stared into Alex's pale blue eyes, momentarily stunned out of the bliss she had been feeling. Like her, he was panting, but he was still holding his emotions in check. That was something Bryce couldn't do.

"Abby?"

She could feel him pulling away and placed her hands around his neck and tugged him forward. She had been with two other men since Bryce. After months of therapy, she made herself visit a small bar three towns over from where she lived. Both times had been disappointing but Abby considered them valuable experiences. They helped her overcome the initial awkwardness of being vulnerable while naked with another person again.

"Are you really sure you want to do this?" Alex asked again. "You don't have to."

"I want to," Abby gasped. "What? Are you afraid I'll call HR in the morning?"

Alex smirked. "No, but tonight has been pretty emotional for you. This probably isn't a good idea."

"Probably not," she agreed.

He grinned. "But we're going to do it anyway?"

Her lips melted against his before she whispered, "Yes."

Her hang-ups weren't anywhere in sight while Alex held her. Bryce was gone and for once she wanted to forget what his death meant to her. Abby closed her eyes as Alex's lips trailed down her jaw before nipping at her neck. Come what may, Abby let go of her painful memories and let herself slip into the numbing ecstasy which was his embrace.

 Come what may, Abby let go of her painful memories and let herself slip into the numbing ecstasy which was his embrace