Chapter 6

"She possesses you." I'd been trying to get Ice's attention throughout her entire conversation with... Amira (apparently that was her name), but now that I had it, I didn't want it any more.

It makes me think about Marco, I wonder if this is how my words felt to him. Like hail pelting your skin.

And then what she said sinks in.

"Wha... Li... Like The Exorcist of Emily Rose type possession?"

I'm barely able to get the words out. I can barely breathe. I feel like I'm choking.

"Yes." Her voice is a little softer.

"I don't... but how... why?"

"Are you finished with her for the time being?" Ice asks, ignoring me again.

Her mouth is tilted slightly in her ever-present smile, and her voice is pleasant but empty. It bothers me.

"I am."

"Iceó" I'm not sure what I would've said, but she continues talking over me, so I never figure it out.

"Let's go, Caitlin."

I feel like a child being ordered around. With a sigh I try to get up, but I can't.

"Um... Ice?" I say. "Kinda can't move."

"Are you strong enough?" Amira asks. Her eyes are literally dancing. Ice's eyes move because she has nystagnus, so she can't control it and I'd always thought of them as dancing. But now, watching Amira's eyes, I realize that I'd never known what that phrase actually meant.

"I guess we'll see." Ice's smile widens, but not in pleasure it's more chilling. I don't know this girl who, though she still looks like me, is somehow different. Older. Even... crueler?

"Guys, can someone fill me in or, help me up or, something?"

"Can you get up now?" Ice's voice is soft.

"Yeah?" I try to stand and manage it for a few seconds before falling back into the chair. And I can feel a pressure holding me there. Then it lifts, and I feel a tug-of-war in my muscles. I swear they're literally moving in separate directions. "IóIce?"

Amira laughs. It's soft and mocking. Like her laugh from the parking lot, when I was trying to explain the truth to Marco.

I'm on my feet before I can process it.

"Leave her alone, Amira." Ice reaches out to take my arm and I feel heat snap between us. Energy, or magic, I think.

"You disadvantage me." Amira says, folding her hands and putting the in her lap. "Touch strengthens ties. And I can cause neither of you any intentional ill-harm since you invoked the Law. But that is alright. We have all of the time in the world."

Ice doesn't respond.

"Caitlin," she says instead. "I need you to breathe deeply, okay?"

"What?"

"Like those times when you tried to meditate, remember?"

I nod, remember she can't see it, and say yes.

"Breathe with me: in, out. In, out. Focus on your breath. And just... let go."

I can't feel the ground anymore. It's like we're floating. And everything starts shifting around. The colors are blurry and objects start melting into each other.

"Ice? What's going on?"

"Don't panic. Just breathe."

"I think in a different situation, Ice, we could have been friends." With everything else in the living room blurring and fading away, her voice is the clearest part of her. "It is unfortunate that we landed on opposite ends of the gate. We may have been able to learn a lot from one another."

Ice's hand tenses on my arm. It's the only other thing that's real right now. And the only indication she gives of having heard Amira.

I get that strange feeling all of a sudden, the one where it feels like someone's in a room with you even though there's clearly no one there. And then she's speaking in my mind.

I'm sorry you were put through that, Caitlin. It's probably not bettering my case. But I can feel your confusion. And I think that is what will make stronger our bond in the end.

"What?"

When lies and secrets float up to the surface, there is always death to follow. All manner of death: death of trust and sometimes life. But it also brings in beginnings.

I have no clue what she's talking about. And where did Ice go? My heart starts pounding. I don't want anymore of this weird shit.

Ice is there and you are safe. Your sister (her laughter fills my mind) she is clever. But not enough. Remember our date on the Saturday. I will give time for her to form some story to you. And then I will give to you truth. That's what I want our relationship to build on. I have always hated lies. Even the necessity ones.

Then it's dark. Jesus, what does she have against light?