Chapter 14: Conflict

"Sam!" Eric called out cheerfully once he spotted the young teen in his office. 

     "Hi, Pastor Eric," Sam called out while clutching a couple books. 

     "What's bothering you, Sam?" Eric asked once the teen settled down in front of him. 

     Sam inhaled slowly before placing his books on the table. He wasn't sure what it was that he was feeling, but he needed to get it off his chest. He looked at Eric seriously before saying,

     "I think I'm becoming Muslim." 

     Eric snickered, but paused once he realized that Sam was truly distraught. He studied the young teen and wondered what had caused him to look so perplexed. 

     "One doesn't just become Muslim, Sam and I thought you didn't mind that your dad is one, so where's the issue?" Eric asked.

     "I'm using Islamic lessons in real life scenarios. I should be using Christian lessons in real life scenarios. I didn't even realize that I knew so many Islamic lessons," Sam groaned. 

     "Sam, there's nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean you're becoming Muslim, it just means that you see the similarities between Islam and Christianity. They are both Abrahamic faiths, which means what?" Eric asked while leaning back in his seat.

     "That the father of both religions is Abraham. That we both believe in him as a patriarch," Sam explained. 

     "Right. Now, Judaism included, there are differences in these three Abrahamic faith, but what's the common denominator?" Eric asked while pulling out his Bible. 

     "Abraham," Sam answered again.

     "Right, so in an essence, we are a family. We all believe that Abraham was a pious man, a believer in monotheism," Eric continued and paged through the Bible before settling on a verse. "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you." 

     "That's Genesis 17:6," Sam noted once he looked it up on his Bible app.

     "That's right. I don't think I've eased your qualms, have I, Sam?" Eric asked. 

     "I get that we're similar and everything. I do, Pastor Eric. I really do, but I don't understand why my mind uses Islamic examples instead of Christian ones. I've been Christian longer than my dad's been Muslim. It makes no sense," Sam added in frustration.

     "It sounds like you actually understand some of the Islamic lessons. There's no harm in that, Sam. We have many similarities in religion," Eric reassured the teen. 

     "I feel like I'm getting to close to Islam," Sam tried explaining.

     "And what's wrong with that?" Eric asked with a smile.

     "I don't WANT to be Muslim, Pastor Eric. That's not how my mom raised me!" Sam exclaimed angrily.

      Eric watched as the young man paced in his office. It was as if he was fighting an internal war, one that Eric could only see through Sam's eyes. The teen huffed and sat back down once he had controlled his temper. He looked at the pastor and proceeded to apologize before hanging his head down in shame.

     "Sam, I've known you forever," Pastor Eric began. "I remember your mother better than anyone else at this church. She taught you love and respect. She taught you to be who YOU wanted to be. Why are you a Christian, Sam?" 

     "Because Mom taught me to believe in Christianity. I can't give that up, especially since she's not here anymore," Sam whispered.

    "But do you BELIEVE in Christianity, Sam? If you're just following the beliefs because of your mother, how are you different than the ignorant people of the world who follow corrupt politicians?" Eric asked earnestly.

     "I don't know. I don't know if I believe, Pastor Eric. I-I don't know," Sam admitted with a frown.

     "I'd be the last person to tell you to convert to a different religion, but I do not condone blind obedience in my congregation. I think it's time for you to find your own way. Go on a spiritual journey. If Christianity makes sense, then follow it. If something else does, you'll find it," Eric explained.

     "I can't betray her. I can't betray my mom," Sam whispered. 

      "Your father chose his own path. It took me a while to understand, but I did understand eventually. He didn't betray your mother. He used the lessons she taught to find his way. I think it's time for you to do the same, Sam," Eric concluded. 

     Sam sat on the front steps of the church and thumbed through his contacts. He didn't like what Eric had said. He wanted clarity, but instead was thrown into even deeper murky water. Find my own path? What does that even mean? How can I find my own path when all I've known is Christianity? None of this makes sense. Pastor Eric makes no sense. How do I even start my own journey?  Who do I talk to? It was at that moment that his finger landed on a number on his phone. His eyes widened in surprise and wondered if it was a divine sign. With a final gulp, Sam touched the number and raised the phone to his ear. 

     The person on the other end picked up the phone after the third ring. Sam inhaled deeply before standing up. He set his forehead in determination and finally spoke into the phone, 

     "Hi, Dad. Can you teach me about Islam?"