Chapter 1: Tension

Goku sat in his living room just pondering over what had gone on during his life. He had been feeling a little depressed recently, and couldn't exactly tell what was wrong. He didn't even know what depression was up until now, as he had always been a pretty happy guy. Suddenly, he heard keys turning in the door, and he knew what that meant. Chi-Chi was home, and judging by how hastily she was trying to open the door, she wasn't happy. She burst through the door, furious, and became even angrier when she saw Goku just sitting around. "Goku!" She yelled, "Get off your lazy ass and help me with these groceries!" Goku just sighed and looked at her, every time he saw her his depression deepened, and the yelling didn't help either. "Chi-Chi," he sighed, "not now, I'm not in a very good mood and just want to be left alone." Chi-Chi just gave him a death stare and scoffed, " And you wonder why I yell at you so often," she paused and glared at him, "maybe if you weren't so useless I wouldn't be so angry all the time." Goku felt a little hurt, but he didn't say anything. He simply sighed and looked away, Chi-Chi had been acting hostile for a while now, and he knew she was never happy anymore. He had been wondering what to do about it, but up until now, he wasn't quite sure he even cared anymore. This little argument seemed to settle it. Goku wanted to feel bad for her, but with how often she nagged him about not being good for anything but fighting, he found that to be nearly impossible. Then it hit him, 'She's the reason I'm so depressed!' he thought. As he continued to stare at the wall, he heard her start yelling again, only this time he couldn't hear what she was saying. He was too deep in thought to even try to hear her clearly. suddenly, he felt a sharp, stinging pain on his face, and turned to see Chi-Chi with a hand raised. She had a very furious look about her, and she yelled again, "Goku are you ignoring me!" she paused for a minute, then added, "I think it would be best if you left for a little while." Goku was stunned, "B-But, Chi-Chi," he stuttered."Ah-ah-ah," she said, "no buts, this isn't permanent, but I think we both just need a little time to calm down." Goku sighed, but said nothing as he walked out the door and took off into the sky. He had never had such a mix of anger, sadness, shock, and surprisingly a little happiness.