Running

Derek runs through the freezing forest. His feet pound on the frosty floor, sending birds skittering away. He's not trying to be quiet; he already knows there's someone chasing him.

Derek usually runs to get away from it all. From the stress, from the fights, from the madness that is his life in beacon hills. He runs until he is drenched in sweat and his mind is clear, allowing him to think.

This time his mind isn't clear.

Derek runs, but he's not trying to get away from his life. His life is good. He has a boyfriend that he loves, that doesn't want to drink his blood anymore. The pack is together again, and everyone is happy. Also, the fact that no one has tried to kill them in over a month was also a plus.

But this time, when he runs, his mind isn't clearing. One thought was throbbing in the back of his mind.

Someone is following you.

Derek was used to this. He had been followed, kidnapped, stalked and much more before, so it wasn't that that freaked him.

It was the fact that he couldn't see who was following him, but the image of a girl with pitch black eyes fleeted constantly across his mind.

Something was changing in Derek, and all he knew was that he had to keep running, as far away from the girl with the black eyes as he could get.

***

Stiles slammed the door of his room and dumped his bag on his bed, next to Derek, who was unusually stiff. He dropped himself down onto his chair and logged into his computer.

"School," Stiles said, running a hand through his shaggy spiky hair. "Is awful."

Derek didn't respond; he stared bleakly at Stiles as though he wasn't there.

"And to think, this time a month ago I missed this. I missed normal school and, get this, I even missed coach!" Stiles spun around and flung his arms into the air. He slapped his hands onto his knees and stared at Derek. "Even Greenberg." He spat, disgusted.

Stiles took no notice of Derek's unresponsive form sitting on his bed. He rummaged around his room and pulled out a folder. "I have so much law homework, jeez. I didn't think it took this much work to become a deputy, I'll have to give my Dad some kind of award.

"Still I'll take it over vampires anyday.

"Speaking of which, no one has tried to kill us in a month. Do find that a bit weird?" Stiles finally sprawled his lanky limbs out on his head as he flopped down on the bed next to Derek. When he finally realised his boyfriend's lack of response, he slowly rose back up into a sitting position and looked up at him with narrowed eyes.

"Derek?" Stiles poked his cheek slightly. "Derek what's up with you?"

"Nothing Stiles." Derek snapped, finally talking. He turned to glare at Stiles, who shrunk back. "What?" He hissed.

"Your eyes Der..."

"What about them?" Derek snarled, causing Stiles to slide away from him slightly on the bed, his heart rate rising.

"They're wolfed out man. What's going on?"

"Nothing." Derek stood up and made to leave, but Stiles slid in front of him.

"Nope, buddy, Don't lie to me." Stiles placed his hands on Derek's shoulders and pushed him back slightly. The ex-alpha growled and the boy held his hands up in defense.

"Get out of my way Stiles." Derek pinched his nose and turned away from Stiles, fuming.

"Not until you tell me what's going on."

"Get out of my way Stiles!" Derek yelled snapping his head round to face Stiles, whose face was now inches from his own wolfed out one.

Derek could hear his boyfriend's heart pounding in his chest; he could hear and feel the fear rolling off him in waves; it wasn't fear for himself, however, but fear for Derek. He caught a glimpse of his face in the reflection of the computer screen and faltered.

He looked terrifying. His eyes were a piercing ice blue and his lips dragged up to reveal his fangs. His normal beastly demeanour was intensified to create something even Scott couldn't deny was monstrous.

"Derek..." Stiles said, pained, reaching out to comfort him.

"Get, the fuck away from me." Derek hissed, lashing out at Stiles and slapping his hand away

Stiles waited until he heard his front door slam to sink down onto his knees and cry.

***

Thanks for 45k! I cannot believe this story has come this far. Thanks to all of you that comment, it really makes my day :)