Chapter Six

Acceptance can come from the strangest of places. But sometimes we get acceptance from those we wanted it from. It's not always about a kind act from a stranger. Sometimes, it's juat about standing up and being yourself.

Caden’s POV.

“Charlie, go and see if everything’s okay.”

“Abi, I can’t just-“

“Of course you can darling, all you have to do is see if they need help. The way Luca was it looks like they might need some help.” She stands, hands on hips with a look of steel. Mom’s well known for getting dad to do as he’s told, even if that means he blushes like a schoolgirl first.

“Okay, I’ll go and see,” he looks at me. “Stay here, Caden. Luca won’t be in the mood for friends if he’s not feeling well.” He looks back at us, rolls his eyes and closes the door. Mom laughs slightly, but her face doesn’t relax. I put my arm around her and squeeze gently. “It’ll be okay. Dad’s going to help if he can.”

She smiles. “I know sweetheart, I’m just worried. I worry about that boy sometimes. He seems so fragile.”

We watch from the living room as dad walks into the house. Mom’s tense beside me. She starts to shuffle around. I keep looking out the window. Watching. Dad doesn’t come out for a while. The minutes seem to drag. I see their front door open and he steps out. From where I’m sitting it looks as if he’s blushing. An older man follows him out. The man seems to be talking, but dad’s not answering much, instead he blushes deeper. I laugh. Mom coughs to get my attention, but dad and the man still have my attention. The door opens and both men walk through, the man’s laughter rumbles through the front door.

Dad keeps the door open and says. “Caden, Abi, this is Angelo, Luca’s grandfather.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” he says. His olive skin and brown eyes remind me of Luca’s. His hair is completely white and a lot shorter than Luca’s. Dad towers over him, but the man is taller than his daughter, but not by much. His smile is kind and his personality seems friendly enough.

Mom smiles and they shake hands. “Lovely to meet you, Mr. Capaletti, it’s wonderful to meet you.”

“No need for the nonsense, call me Angelo, and my wife is Eliana.” He smiles at mom, making her blush. The man has a natural charisma to him. Not only is he charming, but he’s a lively old geezer. Not many people could say they’re that active at his age. Whatever age that is. Then he turns to me with an equally big grin.

“How old do you imagine I am?” He asks with a smirk. There’s humour in his eyes, but I’m not sure if he’d have it there if I say the wrong thing. “Well, how old?”

My eyes widen. His gaze doesn’t leave mine. He’s asking me to answer him, but the eyes are demanding. “Eh… Not really sure, seventy I guess. You don’t look that old, but you still look old.”

He chuckles loudly, I blush. He starts clapping his hands and we all burst into laughter with him. “Ah, my grandson was right about you. I always knew that boy could read people.”

Mom and dad look at each other and their laughter makes the man continue. “He tells me you’re a smart ass. Would my grandson be right?” He takes my blush as a sign to continue. “No need to get embarrassed. Just making a statement.”  

“I don’t know which grandson you’re talking about.”

He chuckles, “The one you that doesn’t know you that well.” I don’t answer and he laughs louder this time. “Dante the oldest grandson and the oldest grandchild I suppose.”