Chapter One

The faded colored leaves that were once bright and florecent, yearning to stand out, were now currently faded. Winter was approaching. November had just started, so living in the city it grew colder. Much to Alfred's dislike. When he made it back to his apartment building he entered in and said 'hello', to the doorman before stopping in front of his mailbox opening it casually and flipping through some of the mail before he stopped and noticed a wedding announcement. What he wasn't expecting.....were the names of the couple.

" Come celebrate the marriage of Arthur Kirkland and Kiku Honda....."

His voice died off after softly reading it out loud. His chest tightened. Sure he had known how either one felt, but did either one consider his feelings in this process. No....not one bit. A selfish thought it was but that's how he truly felt towards the situation.

Casually he took the paper and shoved it in the trash can and made his way towards the stairs that he walked up to get to his apartment. It was a slightly older building that had some modern decorations placed into it. Once he reached his white door that said apartment number 3, he entered in and noticed his cat Franklin wandered towards the door, purring and meowing a hello to his owner, and to let him know that his food dish was empty.

Alfred slid off his converse and rubbed the back of his neck, " Yes Franklin....I know, I know." he nodded while walking over to the small pantry, pulling out the tuna that was made for cats to eat, opening the can and setting it in his food dish he nodded. " There you go. Eat up you beached whale."

The feline mewoed in response before eating away. Alfred had sat down in front of his windows and started to type up the next chapter to his book, "Trapped in Time", surely this would be a sellout like his first book, "Tamed for Love", but all whilist his dreams are thrown up in the air. Because being a best selling romance Novelist is hard work.

With the keys tapping and clicking under his fingers, he quickly pulled up his iTunes account and played a round track of oldies similar to brass bands and Frank Senatra swing singers. Although for how he was feeling right now? Could be more compared to the new Adele 25 album that was released.

Reaching in his desk for some marblo cigarettes, he shook one out and lit it, leaning back again and sighing. For some reason when it came to the romance scenes currently....they were dry.

" Write some bullshit and have the editor fix it." He mumbles out.

As the hours passed, much like the songs did, he check his wrist watch and sighed before putting out his cigarette. He would just have to deliver it to the office. Usually there was someone there.

November, the month that Christmas infects every department store, city light and buisness building in New York City. Christmas is also the time of romance and family....not like Alfred really gave a shit now, compared to back then.

Walking into the publishing office In his sweater cardigan and sweatpants, he recieved disapproving looks from those snooty workers. He reached the main office knocking on the glass door to show his, "boss", Ludwig Beildishmdt.

"Sup boss still look like you have a stick shoved up your ass." He bluntly stated.

Ludwig looked up from some papers, his black neck tie loosened as well as a pair of reading glasses placed on the bridge of his nose. " I see jou still smell like shit and cigarettes, Jones." He curtly replied.

Alfred chuckled at his response. Sure they weren't buddies, but they didn't hate eachother like cats and dogs.

Ludwig took the yellow envelope that held the writers transcript and tapped it with his pen. " I swear if jou give me some bullshit romance scene again, I'll slap jou."

Alfred walked over to his couch flopping down on it and lighting a cigarette. "Sorry I'm not in the lovey dovey mood. But that's what you'll get for now." He casually answers.

He looks up as if to say something before his door opened to reveal his older brother and Vice president of the company, Gilbert Beildishmdt.

Gilbert grinned and walked over sitting next to Alfred pulling out his own smoke while Alfred lit it.

"Danke." He grunts through clenched teeth.

Alfred waved him off, "So did you guys get the offical wedding announcement from Honda and Shit face?"

Gilbert chuckles, puffing out some smoke. " I'm guess jou got one too?"

Alfred leaned back. "Not like I'm going. I betcha Honda only made him send one to me because it's being curteous....to say he's sorry but he chose him instead."

Gilbert shrugged. "Ja, but jou had chances."

Alfred leaned forward raising an eyebrow to his friend. " Oh my god, your taking Arthur's side!?"

Gilbert puffed out some air, "Never did I say zhat. Did I say zhat vest?"

Ludwig waved his hand signaling he wanted nothing to do with this conversation. The door opened again to reveal Ludwig's Italian secretary, Feliciano.

"Ve~ Ludwig look what-a I made! A hand turkey-...." he stops and looks at the two men staring at him, "Oh! Ciao Alfred. Gilbert!"

"Feliciano, I thought I told jou to make calls, not make primary school drawings at jour desk." He asked impatiently.

Feliciano puffed his cheeks, "But Luddy~! It's-a so boring....can't I-a have a siesta now?" He whined out.

Ludwig looked like he was pissed, of course Alfred and Gilbert couldn't get enough laughter from the scene. It's always been this way since college for these two.

When the door opened a final time, Alfred looked up to see a clean cut Asian man walk in. You could see him glowing just from the proposal. Alfred tensed slightly and stood up.

"Well look over it, just add something that fits in it if you want. You are my editor." Alfred finishes before putting out his cigarette.

Ludwig sighed. "Ja I'll edit it, just....versdammit.....do jour job!" He barked out.

Kiku looked up and walked to the door stopping Alfred much to his dislike.

"A-Alfred-san!" He stuttered out at first before continuing. "Did you get the invite?"

Alfred turned and looked at him with a lifeless gaze, "Yeah. Still makes the hole emptier where my heart should be. Thanks, but I'll pass. Hope your happy." He adds lastly while shoving his hands into his sweat pants pockets, walking towards the entrance of the office.

Kiku stared at his retriting back, he felt pained and gripped the papers before turning and entering the office. Once Alfred stepped out of the office he checked his watch and decided to head home to get some rest.

" God I hate winter...." he grumbles out.