Chapter 41: Army Daddy

3 Years Later
Ethan's POV
Addy and I just graduated college and Brady is now 3 1/2. He's my pride and joy.
His hair changed from brown to blonde, which he gets from my blood side of the family (A/N: I know the boy in the picture's eyes are brown, but just pretend they're blue). He's a lot like me: Shy at first, but once he opens up, he's very talkative, funny, energetic, sweet, and kind-hearted. Addy says he's a gentleman like me. He loves it when I sing to him. It calms him down when he's scared, mad, or upset. He's a Daddy's boy, but him and Addy have a very special bond. She knows what he wants or what he's trying to say when he can't say it. Mother's instinct I guess.
Logan and Julia's baby, Calum, is Brady's best friend. They've done everything together since they were born. Calum has blonde hair and his Dad's piercing green eyes (A/N: Again, just got with it...). He's a lot like Brady, energetic and sweet.
Kian and Olivia just had a baby girl about a year ago. Her name is Madison Bella Lawley and she's just adorable. I love my little niece.
Addy and I got married about a year ago and I couldn't be happier. Her and Brady are my whole world.
Sadly...I'm gonna be gone for a while...I enlisted in the army right after we graduated. I'm being deployed to Iraq for about 18 months, and so is Nick. We leave in a week, and I'm a nervous wreck. The whole family is worried, but I haven't told Brady yet. I don't know how he'll take it. But I gotta do this...I gotta do it for my real Dad...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up, dreading the day. This is the day I tell Brady I'm leaving for a while...I hope he doesn't get mad...
"You worried too?"
I looked to my side and Addy was awake, starting to sit up.
"Yeah...What if he's mad? Or what if...What if he thinks I'm not coming back..." I said, looking at the floor.
"He won't be. Sad, probably, but that's normal. And you are coming back. I know it. God isn't taking you away from us anytime soon." She said with a small, but encouraging smile.
I smiled back and pecked her lips. I got out of bed and took a quick shower. I changed into a blue t-shirt, black jeans, and black Vans. I did my hair and brushed my teeth.
I checked on Brady, who was fast asleep in his bed, cuddling with a stuffed penguin I bought him. I smiled, but it faded. I can't believe I have to leave my little boy...
I closed the door and went into the kitchen where Addy was already making waffles and eggs. I helped her, and soon, Brady toddled into the living room, rubbing his eyes.
"Hi Momma, Hi Daddy." He said, smiling at us.
"Morning baby." Addy said.
"How'd you sleep Bray?" I asked, picking him up.
"Good. I had a dweam dat I saw Superman and we fwew everywhere." He said excitedly.
Addy and I laughed. This kid loved superheroes.
We sat down and ate breakfast.
"Well, what do you wanna do today Bray? Anything you want." I said.
He put down his fork and thought for a second.
"Peanut movie!" He said.
"Well, let's get you ready then." I said with a laugh.
I carried him to his room and gave him a bath. I dried him off and changed him into a black and white muscle tank, black shorts,  and black Vans. I did his hair and he brushed his teeth.
Once everyone was ready, we grabbed the baby bag and left. Addy put Brady in his car seat and I got in the front.
We drove to the movie theater and bought our tickets.
"Daddy, can I get an icee pwease?" Brady said, jumping up and down.
I laughed and nodded. We got our snacks and went into the theater.
After The Movie
Brady loved the movie and was cracking up the whole time. He loves Snoopy.
We decided to go to lunch, so we went to Chili's. We ordered our food and Brady colored on his kids menu.
"Daddy wook! I dwew you and Momma and me!" He said, pointing to 3 little stick figures he drew.
I smiled.
"Good job Bray. I love it." I said.
He giggled and kept coloring.
Our food came, so we ate and just talked about random stuff. When we were done, we payed and left.
"Can we go to the park?" Brady asked.
I looked to Addy for approval and she nodded. We got back in the car and drove to a park down the street.
"Daddy, come pway on the swings wit me!" Brady said as soon as I took him out of his car seat, running to the swingset.
Addy and I laughed. I jogged over to Brady and helped him onto the swings.
The park wasn't very crowded, which was perfect.
I helped him on the swings, monkey bars, and slides. He's pretty strong. He could do a pull up all by himself. Then, I started chasing him around the grass, him giggling like crazy.
"Momma!" He giggled, running to Addy.
She laughed as Brady ran behind her. But I was quicker. I scooped him up and began tickling him. His giggles echoed through the park.
"Daddy!" He said.
I laughed and put him down. He plopped onto the grass and rubbed his eyes.
"Somebody's tired." Addy said, picking him up.
He nodded and laid his head on her shoulder. We walked to the car and put Brady in his seat. He passed out almost instantly.
"When are we gonna tell him?" Addy asked as I began driving home.
"Uh...dinner I guess..." I said.
She nodded.
We drove home in silence. I put Brady in his bed and cleaned up the house a little. Addy started making dinner.
When Brady was awake, we started eating.
About halfway through, Addy gave me a look and I nodded.
"Brady, Mommy and I have something to tell you..." I said.
He looked up at me, spaghetti sauce all over his face.
"Well...You know how Daddy's job is keeping everyone safe? And how we make sure everyone can be happy?" I said.
He nodded.
"Like a superhewo!" He said with a smile.
I lightly smiled and nodded.
"Well, Daddy is...Daddy is gonna be going away for a while..." I said.
His smile fell.
"W-what?" He said, a small tear falling down his cheek.
"I leave next week and I'll be gone for a little bit." I said, trying not to cry in front of him.
He started crying, but quietly. My eyes started getting watery.
"B-but I d-don't want you t-to go." He said, stuttering over his tears.
"I know buddy. But I have to go..." I said.
He jumped out of his chair and ran to me. He leaped into my arms and started crying into my chest.
"I'm sorry Brady..." I said.
Addy was now crying too.
"But hey...look at me..." I said.
He lifted his head up, his watery blue eyes and his cheeks stained with tears.
"Daddy's gonna come back. I promise. Nothing is gonna keep me away from you and Mommy." I said.
He put his head back into my chest, silently crying.
We just sat there for God knows how long. I didn't care. I was gonna treasure these last few moments with my son...