Chapter 4

As Hannah parked the car in the parking lot of the Olive Garden where she was to meet Julia, Lauren, and Shannon, she glanced around. Looking up, the sky was overcast a bit gloomy looking for a day in May. She knew it was hurricane season but hadn't heard anything on the radio on the way over there. Getting out of her car with some difficulty, she bit her lip slightly but her demeanor changed as she saw the other three already waiting for her near the entrance; Lauren waved to her. Taking a deep breath she walked slowly over to where they were standing and hugged them all in greeting. Together they walked in single file as Julia held the door open for them all. Shannon had made reservations and as they took their seats, they looked grateful to see each other.

    Julia was the shortest and had black hair with brown eyes and always reminded the others of a sparrow when she got angry. Lauren was closer in height to Hannah and had sand colored hair and blue green eyes while Shannon all but towered over them all with her light brown hair and green eyes. One Halloween back in college they had dressed up as a wooden harmonica and won a prize for innovation because that instrument had each of its pieces taller than the last. They had painted their faces and everything. Hannah started the conversation by recounting that to them and their eyes widened as they remembered.

"Oh my lord, y'all! I remember that night like it was yesterday. We were definitely the best costume out of the bunch!" Julia exclaimed with a smile and a wink at Lauren. Those two were always attached at the hip and had known each other since elementary school.

"I know right? Boy we had some good times before we had to settle down and get all serious." Lauren replied.

"Serious? When did you become serious? You are like gossip queens. I couldn't keep up with you guys in college and as hell can't now." Hannah replied just as the waiter came to get their orders. Once he left, the four of them giggled.

"Oh now shush you or I'll go have a word or two with your car!" Shannon threatened as the rest laughed.

"You leave my car out of this." Hannah warned narrowing her eyes playfully.

"Ok enough of this nonsense, what's been going on with you ladies since we last chatted together?" Julia said as if calling some meeting to order, she had always been the one to take charge.

"Well let's see, my twins are using the walls instead of floors to walk. It's kinda creepy sometimes but funny at the same time. They've turned my and Matt's house into a jungle gym. What little terrors!" Shannon said with a laugh.

"Sounds like something out of 'The Exorcist'." Lauren said jokingly as everyone's food was delivered by the waiter.

"Oh this food looks divine; let's dig in while Lauren tells us all about her son and his 'very clean room.'" Shannon put her hands up into quotes for the last part.

"Big deal; so he has a messy room! He's a boy for Christ's sake! What's he supposed to do? Vacuum the house or do laundry?" Lauren rolled her eyes. Hannah turned to Julia then:

"How's your daughter doing? Is she better in the new class?" Julia nodded looking grateful for the ability to talk about something a little serious.

"Yes she is, thank goodness. The new teacher has dealt with dyslexic kids before and says it shouldn't be a problem as long as Lexie continues to listen and follow the different directions. They're made particularly for kids with dyslexia so they can learn how to be high functioning adults."

"That's very important." Hannah said as Julia nodded and the attention suddenly turned toward Hannah as they continued to enjoy their lunch.

"So what about you and Chris? Any little ones on the horizon?" Lauren asked as Hannah paused and shook her head.