Chapter One

This is like my other book Kidnapper's Son but it is better. I switched the names of the book. Sorry for the confusion. Some scenes may be similar but I used different names and changed it slightly. If you see any mistakes, tell me nicely :)
~~~~~~~~

I groggily wake up to the sun shining through my pink curtains and the birds chirping in the oak tree in my backyard. Checking my phone for the time, it is six o'clock in the morning. I inwardly groan. Unfortunately, I can never sleep in, just once I would like to sleep past nine in the morning. I slowly climb out of my full sized bed, knowing it's no use to try to fall back asleep. Deciding to get dressed, I put on a pair of black Adidas shorts and a blue tank top. I reach for a blue hair tie on the dresser and put up my long brown hair. I quietly walk down the white carpeted stairs, trying not to wake my parents even though they have to get up to go to work in ten minutes.

Summer time, definitely not my favorite season except for the fact that I don't have to go to school. The main reason I dislike this season so much is because it is when all the weird bugs come out. For example, there are spiders the size of half dollar bills, black flies that fly around your food, gnats that fly into your eyes and get caught in your hair, and mosquitoes that bite and suck the blood out of you. Also, don't forget it is also very hot and muggy. Now there are a couple of things I do like. I like going to our lake house. It is where I can escape the summer heat by wake-boarding, knee-boarding, and swimming. I also enjoy all the carnivals and county fairs. Riding my favorite rides and eating carnie food. Okay, maybe summer isn't so bad.

Opening my front door, I step outside and start my morning jog. The sun is bright and there isn't a cloud in the sky. I usually run to clear my head and escape from the problems that fill my mind. Other times I do it to release the endorphins, so I can experience the feelings of happiness. We live in a nice neighborhood with about eighty houses. It's a gated community, meaning we have to enter a passcode to get in. There is a park located in the center section. Our neighbors are very friendly, but mostly keep to themselves. In fact, most of the neighbors don't communicate since they are all busy working and living their own individual lives. Most of our friends live close by but are in different neighborhoods, except for three of our friends.

Still running, I take in the scenery. Everyone's lawns are a luscious jade green, flowers are fully bloomed. Summer may not seem too bad, but it still isn't one of my favorite seasons.

The sweat is dripping off my forehead. Not only I'm getting hotter, the temperature is rising quickly outside. As I round the bend, out of the corner of my eye I see a white van parked on the opposite side of the road. The neighbors must of bought a new work van. I know I've seen this van a couple times in the last week. I scan the van to try to see the license plate, but I am unable to because a car is parked behind it. I don't notice any unusual markings. I pick up my pace and carry on with my run.

As I return home, I immediately hop in the shower. The cool water hitting my back. As I step out, I hear someone banging on the door. "Alicia! Get your butt out of the bathroom!" my twin brother, Josh, yells from the other side.

"Hold your horses. I'll be out in a minute. Plus, you should have more respect for me," I say proudly. "I mean, I am older than you." He gets so mad when I say that. I find it so funny.

"Only by two minutes!" he fights back. I laugh and put on my jeans and a purple shirt. I open up the door and smile at my loving younger brother. I walk to my room and jump on the bed, bored as ever. What am I going to do for the rest of the day? Our parents won't be home until three o'clock because they have work. Although, they have a business trip to attend. They are coming home early so they will be ready to leave tonight.

There are about six hundred kids at our highschool. I guess you can say Josh and I are popular. I don't really like the attention though, unlike my brother. To a stranger, I am really shy. My friends on the other hand see me as sarcastic and crazy. I've been asked out by a bunch of Josh's friends, but I always say no. Even though Josh and I look identical, our personalities are totally opposite. We even each other out though.