Foundation Of Information Systems In Business
What Is An Information System?
An Information System can be any organized combination Of:
- communications networks,
People rely on modern information systems to communicate using a variable:
- physical devices (hardware).
- information processing instruction and
- communications channels (network).
- stored data (data resources).
Examples Of Information Systems:
i.Smoke signals for communication
ii.Card catalog in a library
iii.The cash register
The Major Areas Of Information Systems Knowledge Needed By Business Professionals
1. Foundation concepts.
concept about the components and roles of information systems.
2. Information technologies.
hardware, software, networks, data management, many internet based technologies.
3. Business applications.
operations, management, competitive advantage of a business.
4. Development processes.
plan, develop, and implement information systems to meet business opportunities.
5. Management challenges.
the challenges of effectively and ethically managing information technology at end user, enterprise, and global levels of a business.
The Fundamental Roles Of Information System In Business
There are three fundamental reasons:
1. Support of its business processes and operations.
2. Support of decision making by its employees and managers.
3. Support of its strategies for competitive advantage.
Types Of Information Systems
1.Operations support system
2.Management Support System
3.Decision Support System
4. Executive Information System
1.Operations support systems:
- Transaction processing systems
-- process data resulting from business
transactions, update operational
databases, and produce business
Examples: Sales and inventory,
processing and accounting