Hook's nightmares

Emma, Killian, and Henry now lived together under one roof. After she had been freed from the darkness, she was a bit hesitant to continue residing in this house. She stayed with her parents for a few months after, occasionally staying on the Jolly Roger overnight with Killian. She finally got the nerve to move back in. It was a very large house and Killian and Henry reasoned that she needed stability and space. Henry was a teenager now and sharing the loft apartment with his grandparents, uncle, and sharing the same room as his mother was getting cramped. Not to mention Killian slept much better with Emma next to him, although he would never admit it. It would just add more to the heap of guilt she already felt.

On this particular night, him and Emma were reading together. The two of them occupied one couch, Killian stretched out against an arm with a leg dangling off to make room so that Emma could lay across as well, leaned back comfortably against him. Henry was at Regina's for a weekend stay, and Emma had convinced Killian to read Harry Potter. Emma herself was reading a Nicholas Sparks novel.
"Emma, love, this Harry bloke reminds me of you." Killian said, breaking the comfortable silence.

"Yeah?" Emma asked, deep in her own reading.

"Aye, except he's actually an orphan. The truth is hidden from him, until he reaches a certain age and finds out he has magic and finds happiness." Killian observed.

"That's kind of why I liked them." Emma explained. "They distracted me from reality."

Killian decided to take a look at what Emma's book was about. He found himself reading a very detailed description of what he considered to be very private and intimate matters between a man and woman.

"Bloody hell, Swan!" He exclaimed.

"What?" Emma said with a laugh.

"Whoever wrote that damn book uses no discretion whatsoever!" His eyes grew wide as he continued to read.

"It's a romance novel, Killian." She calmly said.

Killian shook his head, this realm could be utterly ridiculous. He continued reading well into the night, until he heard a thump.

Emma had fallen asleep, letting her book fall to the ground. Killian smiled as she unconsciously made herself comfortable against him. He kissed the top of her head and ran a hand up and down her arm as he continued to read until he was sleepy as well. He didn't care to spend the entire night on the couch so he very carefully extracted his leg, leaning Emma against the cushions so as not to disturb her.

"This woman can sleep through cannon fire." Killian said to himself.
Once in a standing position, he picked Emma up bridal style, one arm behind her back and the other behind her knees.

She moaned in her sleep.

"Killian?" She quietly grumbled.

"Shhh, love. You've fallen asleep." He hushed her.

She leaned her head against him and curled her arms against his chest. He carefully and skillfully carried her up the stairs. Once inside the bedroom they shared, he managed to pull the comforter back with his foot and set her on the bed. She had been in comfortable clothing for hours, so Killian just covered her up before going to put on his own pajamas.

He slipped under the covers and snuggled up behind her warm body.

"Goodnight, love." He said, kissing her cheek.

Tonight, the nightmares were worse than ever. Strange, because Emma was right next to him.

This time they also varied, past incidents coming in at random. Emma nearly freezing to death in an ice cave, almost drowning in Neverland, engaging in combat with a snow monster and a hell bat, nearly being sucked into that bloody hat while Killian was powerless to stop it, her face as she realized she was about to watch him die, and finally, Emma being taken away by the darkness and Killian unable to make her stay.

He writhed and mumbled in his sleep, finally waking Emma up. She was a bit confused at first, then she realized what was happening.

"Killian?" She softly said to him, touching his cheek.

He started to repeat her name. "Killian!" She said in an urgent tone, realizing he was having nightmares about her.

When he screamed in terror she'd had enough, no more being gentle.

"KILLIAN!" She yelled, shaking him.

He woke with a start, eyes wild and afraid. Then they locked with hers. He tentatively reached a hand and cupped her cheek.

"Emma." He said softly.

"Yes, Killian. It's me." She said, placing her hand over his and leaning into his touch.

He just stared at her.

"Killian," she told him, "I'm here. It's okay. I'm not going anywhere."

He sat up and wrapped his arms around her. "Please, stay Emma. Don't go away again."

She could feel his tears landing on her shoulder. He sounded like a frightened child. She gave him a reassuring squeeze and a kiss on the cheek. "Never again."

He pulled away and she smiled at him, using her thumb to wipe the tears from his cheek.

"Go back to sleep, Killian. I'm right here next to you." She urged him.

He nodded and laid down flat on his back. Emma sprawled a leg and arm over him, trying to wrap herself around him as much as possible so even in his sleep, he would know she's there, he would feel it. She used his chest for a pillow and fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.

Killian, however, was up hours after, still trying to convince himself she was here and real. After she'd fallen asleep and he'd given up on trying, he started to prove to himself that she was here with him. He played with strands of her golden hair, twiddled each of her fingers, ran his own fingers along her bare skin. Finally, in the early hours of the morning, sleep overtook him. He didn't have another nightmare that night.