10

[MCW's POV]

I could feel his presence in the room even before I could see him. It's funny how my heart seems to remember what it's like to breathe the same air with him in the same room.

Like right now, when I'm waiting for him to take me to where Ma Ru-ssi's grave is in the cafe where I used to work at.

My eyes flicker to the front door and meet his. But he only stands still there, like he was unable to step further towards where I am. And I know why. As nervous as he was, I am too.

Because it'll be his first time to meet our children.

"Eomma, wae geurae?" my youngest, Joong Yeon staring at me from my side with her innocent, big, bright eyes. I realize I was in the middle of giving her, her strawberry shake before I paused because of Joong Ki-ssi's presence.

"Ah, mianhae Joong Yeon-ah. Here's your drink." I apologize, giving the glass to her. My eyes shifting back to Joong Ki-ssi and I frown. How long is he planning to just stand there?

"Eomma, that ahjussi keeps staring at you." Joong Seon pointing out right at Song Joong Ki, doesn't have a slightest clue that 'that ahjussi' is his own father. "Eomma aneun saram-ilka?" he continues, when he noticed that I have been staring at Joong Ki-ssi for a while, too. He was always the most clever.

I paused for a moment, shifting my eyes back and forth toward Joong Ki-ssi and Joong Seon, before I say, "Eo. Eomma knows that ahjussi very well. Maybe he wants to come closer but he was afraid because he sees eomma have a strong bodyguard over here..." I lean to caress his soft hair from across the table between us. His hair feels so similar with Joong Ki-ssi's, and I smiled. "Will you invite him to join us, Joong Seon-ah? Tell him that it's okay for him to sit with us?"

Joong Seon nods obediently and stands up right away to run toward Joong Ki-ssi. I can see his father flinches and maybe a little bit startle because of how casually Joong Seon went to him and fetch his hand, then drag him to our table.

"Eomma, I bring the ahjussi." Joong Seon says proudly, and I smile again.

"Gomawo, Joong Seon-ah. You're eomma's best bodyguard." I say, and received his bright smile. He loves it when I say that he's my bodyguard. He says that that makes him feels like superhero. Little he knows that he is my superhero. Both he and Joong Yeon are my superheroes. Because they're the reason why I still live.

He went back to sit in his chair. "Ahjussi, come sit with me." he says to Joong Ki-ssi, patting the spot beside him. When his father seemed like he couldn't do as he said, he scoots a little and pull Joong Ki-ssi's hand again, forced him to sit down.

Joong Ki-ssi was still avoiding my gaze. He's staring at his own hands under the table. Minutes have passed but still not a word from him, and I can feel myself grew angry.

"Took you long enough to be here. Oh wait, maybe it will be longer if only I hadn't asked Joong Seon to get you over here." I speak to Joong Ki-ssi, knowing very well I'm being childish and sarcastic, and that maybe my children would hear and understand what I've said.

But I just can't help it. How can I not be disappointed, when the first time he finally could meet our children, all he'd do was standing like a robot, and be silent like a monk?

Didn't he feel long to see them? Didn't he miss them?

Still not looking into my eyes, he's finally speaking his first words since he gets here.

"I don't know you're going to bring them with you. I just..." he paused, maybe to overthink what he'll trying to say, before continues, "You caught me off guard." His tone was different than I could remember he'd be--like he was so nervous and doesn't have the slightest confidence in him.