The Second Epilogue: The Afterlife

Although Jayson Vance lost the two most important people in his life at a young age he was still able to have a long relatively happy life, for the most part; everyone had their good days and bad. There wasn't much confusion when it was time for him to pass on. He was ready for it, had been since he was a teenager. Even though it meant leaving his best friend and children behind, it also meant that he would get to see his sister and most importantly his first love. 

The light disappeared from his vision as he took his last breath and his soul finally left his body, it quickly passed on. To where you may wonder, the place had many names; the afterlife, the big cloud in the sky, the eternal home, the great unknown, the pearly gates, nirvana, heaven. They all meant one thing to Jayson, paradise.

He opened his eyes to see that there were actually, pearly gates, and he felt a twinge of what used to be amusement. The magnificent gates opened wide granting him permission to enter, and he did.

Once he was inside he walked for a while, admiring the otherworldly matter that made up the ground. He passed many familiar faces, each greeting him with a joyful nod; none were a soul he knew in life.

Jayson kept walking in the same gaited manor not entirely sure of his destination, an unexplainable force propelling him forward. Eventually a body of cosmic water came into view, once he was at the water’s edge he looked down, curious as to what his appearance might be. To his surprise he was youthful again, years of worry, and heartache had melted away. He looked the same as he did in high school. Still not used to his new form he felt a twinge that in his body would have been tears.

And then somewhere deep inside of Jayson, a feeling he couldn’t explain urged him to quicken his pace for what lie on the other side of the water was what would truly bring him peace.

With every stride Jayson felt freer and freer, until finally he saw what had been pulling him to this spot, his first love, Tommy.

He sank to his knees in front of the boy he had once held in arms, and never stopped loving. He was healthy and whole looking, the way he was before that nasty illness had destroyed him.

 “Is it really you?” Jayson asked, his voice trembling.

“Yes, it’s really me,” Tommy replied a radiant smile nestled between his heavenly cheeks. He kneeled to Jayson’s level, embracing him whole-heartedly.

“I..”

“I know,” Tommy paused, carefully evaluating Jayson’s expression before continuing, “It feels as if I’ve spent an eternity gazing down at you from this spot.”

Jayson interrupted Tommy’s confession with a long press of lips, or so he thought. The truth was Tommy actually did have an eternity this time, so for the moment he had said all he had to say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know you all are probably in shock and awe that I wrote this, but I am going to be doing a bit of rewriting for this story and decided to start with the Epilogue. Once I rewrote it (just now go look at the difference!) I decided I couldn't leave you all without knowing that they did eventually have a happy ending, just not the one you all were hoping for.