@julietlyons - 5Qi-2

Q1. What inspired you to write your first book?

A. I've been attempting to write books since I was little kid. Emphasis on the word, 'attempting'. Back then I was inspired by the need to create another world, a place to escape to. Like most writers, I've always been a dreamer. Until I joined Wattpad in 2014, however, I hadn't finished a single novel. I began posting my first book, 'My True Love Ghost', and found the mutually supportive environment of readers and writers really helped the process. 'My True Love Ghost' was inspired by a dream of a teenage girl in a prom dress being carried in the arms of an old fashioned boy. When I woke up, I thought it would make a good story so I jotted down the idea. I'm really glad I did or I may have forgotten all about it.

Q2. Which fictional character best represents your personality and why?

A. I would say that occasionally I'm a little bit Alice, chasing white rabbits and tumbling down holes-enjoying the company of Mad Hatters. But other times I have all the cynicism of Esther Greenwood from Sylvia Plath's 'The Bell Jar.' The world gets under my skin a fair bit. Probably why I end up in Wonderland. I sound mental, lol.

Q3. What is the hardest part of writing for you?

A. I would say editing, which I loathe. I quite like editing other people's work, but with my own, I find it really difficult to remain objective. That and time. There aren't enough hours in the day to get things done.

Q4. Where do you get your inspiration?

A. I'm inspired by people. People are interesting stories in themselves. I'm fascinated by all the different types of characters we have in our world. In my stories, I try to mix real characters with fantasy and paranormal. I've always loved the juxtaposition of the real and not real.

Q5. Why do you write?

A. I write because it's a compulsion and when I'm tapping at the keys on a computer or scribbling like fury in a notepad, I reach a kind of nirvana. It's peaceful. I don't think I could stop if I tried.

Book and Author recommendations:

1. 'Trapped' by SallyMason1. Sally is a good friend of mine on Wattpad and her book 'Trapped' about a kidnapped girl is extremely suspenseful and well written. She has a knack for the macabre.

2. 'Flygirl' & 'The Summer Associate' by LizCharnes. Liz's books revolve around the 'McIvers', a large and dysfunctional family of Mob lawyers. Her characters are larger than life and leap right off the page. I find Liz's stories impossible to put down. They're really funny too.

3. 'London Shadows' by JoanneWeaver Joanne writes about the adventures of Victorian Paranormal reporters, Freddie Westman and Jim Penderry. The stories are packed with humour and superbly written.

4. 'Men In Tights' Trilogy by Tasting_stars. Danielle Banas is such a talent and I loved her trilogy. Her writing is extremely witty. If you like cute guys who are secret super heroes, this series is for you.

5. 'Sex, Lies & Demon Ties' by CJLaurence CJ is a hidden gem and her books about wayward demons and vampires are sexy, fun and fast paced. I've been a huge fan since I joined the site.

..............................................

#5Qi-2 November 5th, 2015