In Hiding (Final Book in the Boss's Niece Series)

Prologue:

"What's your pass code?" my husband, Spencer Reid, asked from the passengers seat. He was currently trying to get into my iPhone, but it wasn't working.

"Why do you want to get into my phone?" I asked.

"Because." was all he said.

"Fine." I laughed. "0604."

"0604?"

I nodded.

"Haley's birthday."

Haley was our 5 year old daughter. She was the cutest little girl ever. Spencer and I were on the way to get her from daycare.

"Oh right. I don't know now I didn't see that." he said, typing in my pass code. Just as he did so, my phone rang. He passed it to me and I answered.

"Hello, Unit Chief Melanie Reid here." I said.

A few months before, I had been promoted from just an agent to Unit Chief after my uncle Aaron Hotchner, who got the role after Erin Strauss died, retired.

"Mel?" came my uncle's voice.

"Uncle Aaron? Hey! What's up?" I asked.

"Mel, are you with Reid right now?"

"Yeah. Why? What's wrong?"

"Put me on speaker."

I clicked the speaker button on my phone and held it out.

"Alright, Uncle Aaron. You're on speaker. It's me and Spencer." I said.

"You two remember SSA David Rossi, right?"

"How could we forget him?" Spencer said, smiling at me.

"He passed away last night."

Spencer and I looked at each other, wide eyed. I had worked with David for most of my career. Spencer, too. It was hard to believe that he was gone now.

"His funeral is after Christmas. Are you two gonna be able to go?"

"Yeah, Uncle Aaron. We are. Haley, too. See you then." I replied.

"Okay. Bye."

I clicked the "end" button and looked at Spencer, surprised.

"David's gone?" I said, still not believing it. I felt tears forming in my eyes as we came to a stop light. Spencer quickly hugged me as I cried into his chest.