X

"X?"

"Yes, I knew him in the past. And I guess I just needed to find out why he bet . . . why he betrayed me. And last I heard he was in the custody of the Southern elves."

"Are you telling me you ventured into enemy territory to find out why someone betrayed you?" The incredulity in Lokar's tone was clear. 

"No. I also want to hurt the North in every way possible as well, and it's much easier to do that if you have an entire nation at your heels."

Lokar laughed, "You're serious aren't you? How exactly are you going to get the entire South to back you?"

Lucas looked between the two, "I hadn't thought of that yet. But surely we all have the same goal? To destroy the North?"

"Thirty seconds ago you were a broken man, sobbing in front of your two captors. Now you stand before us telling us that you want to destroy the North?" The she-elf spoke for the first time.

"Muerta . . ." Lokar turned and walked back to her position, displeasure clear in his tone. 

"No Lokar, this is ridiculous. I'm not going to stand here while the two of you play your mind games with each other. It's obvious that his little emotional outburst was rooted in true feelings, but the outburst itself was designed to play us. We can't trust someone who resorts to deception with such an ease of consciousness. He regrets the death of a Southern legion, not for the lives, but because he believed it would stand between him and us. Now Lokar, we cannot access his mind directly but he possess information valuable to us. Retrieve it."

Lucas started at the woman, realizing too late that he had underestimated her perception. Lokar sighed dramatically, "But I was having sooo much fun." His wistful tone was jarring compared to the variety of inflections he had been using. Uncomfortably aware of his situation Lucas shifted, testing the strength of his bindings once again. 

An eerie smile played over Lokar's face as he turned back to Lucas. Sharp green eyes stared at him, strikingly similar to Selena's, examining his every movement. Shivering Lucas told himself that he was cold, but the change in Lokar's demeanor was unsettling. He had crouched, just barely, and was stalking towards Lucas. Weight shifted back and forth evenly distributing itself as if in preparation to pounce. This movement was more animalistic than anything Lucas had seen before. A slight growling emanating from Lokar's chest certainly wasn't helping anything.

From beyond the approaching elf Lucas could hear Muerta speaking. 

"We have tried the civilized method of retrieval. But I confess it bores me, and I am rather impatient. So now we will pull information from your unwilling mouth in the way of our home. The way of the Southern animal."

Swallowing convulsively Lucas watched as Lokar completed the last few steps between them. 

"What are you going to tell me Lucas?" Lokar was almost crooning as spoke, warm breath brushed against Lucas's ear. His chin rested on Lucas's shoulder, almost nuzzling into his neck. "Won't you tell me what I want to know?"

Staring directly ahead Lucas gritted his teeth, "You haven't even told me what you want to know."

Lokar stopped, "That's true. . ." he purred, "but you hadn't asked yet."

"Lokar stop."

"Are you serious?! First you tell me to do this, then don't do that and this instead and now I can't do it either? What the hell Muerta?"

"I've just received intelligence as to who we are dealing with."

Lokar's anger was gone in an instant, as was his bestial stance. Without even giving Lucas a second glance he hurried over to his companion and the two began whispering urgently. Straining his ears Lucas tried to hear what they were saying, what new information could the female have that she hadn't been able to pull from his mind.

He shivered more violently now and his stomach, no longer distracted by the close presence of the two, twisted with hunger. The minutes passed as the two conversed and the sun had soon fallen completely below the tree line. With the darkness came a more intense cold. Lucas could feel his mind growing fuzzy as he grew colder and colder but he managed to stay awake. Privately he wondered where the famed heat of the South was. A lone howl rose in the night but Lucas ignored it, unperturbed by that at least. The fire would keep the beast away, and if that fail he doubted the Southerners would allow him to be mauled.  

The wind changed suddenly, bringing with it the smoky scent of the fire and the more pleasant scent of toasting bread. Again his stomach growled, but Lucas strove to ignoring it. Instead he listened to another sound, he could barely catch phrases from the conversation of the two now that their words were carried by the wind.

"subject capture"

"backup on the way"

"Amana"

"operational success"

Thinking quickly Lucas tried to figure out what Amana had to do with all of this. That elf who had seemed so kind, only following orders. Why had his name been mentioned, how could they even know his name? He just wanted to scream in frustration, he had become so entangled in plot he couldn't even figure out who was responsible for what. Hell, he didn't even know who he could trust.

He caught a final phrase before the two settled beside the fire, "two hours."

Famished Lucas watched them eat their dinner like a wild animal, he strained against the bonds subconsciously as he watched the food from a distance. Their cat like eyes would flit towards him occasionally, but they gave him nothing to eat or wear. So Lucas was forced to stand, completely exposed to the elements, waiting for something to occur.

One hour passed, then two.

It was pitch black in the forest, and as cold as ice. Though he could not see it Lucas was sure that his pale skin was now a sickly blue. His fingers, toes, and other extremities were so cold he could no longer feel them. The rough bark of the tree felt like a thousand knives cutting into his skin, frozen leafs felt the same on the sensitive soles of his feet. Teeth chattering so much he wondered if they would wear down to the gums Lucas struggled against the dropping temperatures. He had tried to warm himself with magic shortly after trying to heal himself. Lokar and Meurta had allowed neither. 

A single branch broke in the night and in an instant three elves were on alert. Lucas looked around trying to figure out who, or what, had caused the sound. The two elves crouching by the fire displayed none of his concern. More rustling marked the passage of two elves as the entered the clearing. 

One stepped confidently, the other was dragged barely conscious. 

Lucas gaped as he realized the identity of the two. 

Amana, and Hobien.