Chapter 7: "Do you need to learn where my eyes are?"

Picture of AJ on the side, and I was too lazy to fix all these dang spaces.

**********

Chapter 7

"Kaylyn! Wake up!"

I cracked open an eye, then quickly shut it. Someone had opened my curtains, and the morning light was blinding. I pulled the duvet over my head and tried to fall back asleep.

"KayKay, AJ told me to wake you up!" Madelyn whined, jumping on my bed. I groaned.

"Ten more minutes," I said lazily. Suddenly Maddie was under my covers and tickling my sides. I started giggling, then when she didn't stop I was screaming. "Okay! I'm up! I'm up!"

Maddie jumped out of my bed, satisfied. I smiled at her. She was the best little sister I could ask for, even when she tickled me half to death.

"AJ made me panpakes!" she squealed. She never could say pancakes when she was learning to talk, so it just kind of stuck.

"Did he make any for me?" I asked.

"He said if your lazy ass ever gets out of bed you can have some," she said with a grin, the dimple in her cheek prominent. I gasped.

"Madelyn Victoria Bradford!" I cried. "Don't ever use that word again!" She looked sad and guilty, and hung her head.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. She was so adorable, I could hardly keep scolding her. I got up and bent down to hug her.

"It's okay," I murmured. "Just don't say it again. Promise?"

"Promise!" she said, perking up. She stuck out her pinky finger and we pinky promised. She ran out, leaving me alone.

I took a hot shower, the warmth calming me. My hair stuck to my skin as it became drenched, and all my worries and insecurities washed away. I shampooed and conditioned my hair with my favorite watermelon scented smelly stuff.

I heard a knock on my bathroom door and practically jumped a foot.

"Yes?" I yelled.

"Hey, it's me," someone yelled. Confused, I turned the water off and wrapped a towel around my body tightly. I wringed my hair out before I stepped out of the shower and opened the door.

"Uh, why are you here?" I asked. Jack stood a few feet away from me, and it looked as though he had trouble keeping eye contact with me. Why couldn't he have waited thirty minutes until I was dressed?

"I was hoping we could go on a date," he said. His eyes started to wander to my legs, so I snapped my fingers in front of his face.

"Do you need to learn where my eyes are?" I questioned. He looked embarrassed that he had been caught.

"Uh, no," he muttered, looking down. Thankfully it was just at his shoes, because if he had been looking at my legs again, he would've met my fist.

I pushed past him and into my room, closing the door behind me. I towel dried my hair, then quickly put on a purple shirt and jeans.

"What was it you wanted to do?" I asked as I walked out of my room and down the stairs. I heard his footsteps behind me.

"Can't tell you," he said, back to his cocky and confident attitude. I rolled my eyes as I skipped the last two steps, jumping down.

"Thank you, thank you," I said, bowing to a nonexistent audience. I waited until Jack was all the way down the stairs, too, until I skipped to the kitchen. The scent of pancakes and bacon wafted through the hallway, and I shoved the door open.